Aviva plc (“Aviva” or the “Company”) has appointed Charlotte Jones as Chief Financial Officer and Executive Director with effect from 5 September 2022. Charlotte was previously Chief Financial Officer of RSA Insurance plc and Interim Chief Executive Officer of the RSA UK & International business.
Charlotte has enjoyed a highly successful career in financial services including as CFO of Jupiter Fund Management plc, where she was the member of the Board and Executive Committee with responsibility for finance and corporate strategy. Before that she was Head of Group Finance at Credit Suisse Group and Deputy Group CFO at Deutsche Bank Group. She started her career at EY.
Amanda Blanc, Group Chief Executive Officer, said:
“This is a really excellent appointment for Aviva. Charlotte is a highly experienced CFO with an impressive track record across the insurance and asset management industries. She is an exceptional addition to Aviva and will play a central role as we accelerate our performance and grow.”
Charlotte Jones said:
“Aviva is both an amazing brand and a business really focused on delivery, and so the opportunity to join as CFO is fantastic. I look forward to working with Amanda and the team, and making Aviva the undisputed market leader in insurance, wealth and retirement.”
* Charlotte Jones’ appointment is subject to approval by the PRA and FCA.
This announcement is made pursuant to Listing Rule 9.6.11.
+44 (0)7800 694 276
+44 (0)7800 694 859
Rupert Taylor Rea
+44 (0)7385 494 440
+44 (0)7800 691 138
Charlotte Jones joins Aviva on 5 September 2022. Following Jason Windsor’s departure and until that date, Colin Simpson, currently the CFO of Aviva Canada, will act as Interim Chief Financial Officer. During that period, Colin will join Aviva’s Executive Committee but will not be a member of the Board. Both appointments are subject to regulatory approval.
In accordance with paragraph LR 9.6.13R of the listing rules, Aviva confirms there is no further information to be disclosed in terms of LR 9.6.13R (1) to LR 9.6.13R (6) inclusive in respect of Charlotte Jones.
A photo of Charlotte Jones is available here: Aviva plc | Flickr
- Charlotte Jones’ remuneration package is consistent with that of the incumbent, Jason Windsor, and set in accordance with the Directors’ Remuneration Policy approved by shareholders in 2021. Details as follows:
- Basic annual salary: £675,000. The next salary review date will be April 2023.
- Pension: Pension contributions of 14% of salary in line with the maximum employer contribution level available to the majority of UK based employees.
- Standard Aviva Executive benefits package.
- There is no buy-out of existing bonus or long-term incentive arrangements from previous employment.
- Maximum annual bonus: 150% of basic salary. Two thirds of any award deferred into shares which will vest in three equal tranches over three years. 2022 bonus will be prorated for the period employed and subject to performance.
- Long Term Incentive Plan: On appointment Charlotte Jones will receive a full-year 2022 Long Term Incentive Plan (LTIP) award of 225% of salary. LTIP awards vest after three years, and only if stretching financial, shareholder return and other targets are met. Following vesting there is a further two-year holding period.
- The full-year award ensures immediate alignment with shareholders and with Aviva’s key goals over the next three years, particularly in the context of there being no buy-out of existing unvested awards.
- Shareholding requirements: Charlotte Jones will be required to build a shareholding in Aviva to the value of 225% of her basic salary and to retain 50% of the net share releases from her deferred bonus and LTIP awards until this requirement is met. At the date of this announcement, Charlotte Jones holds no ordinary shares of Aviva.
- Notice period: 6 months’ notice period by the individual, 12 months by the Company.
- Further detail will be disclosed in the 2022 Directors' Remuneration Report.
B Share Scheme and share consolidation
As announced with our full year Results on 2 March, we intend to return £3.75bn of capital to shareholders via a B Share Scheme, together with a simultaneous share consolidation. This is in addition to the £1 billion share buy-back which was completed on 31 March 2022. We expect to publish full details of the Scheme and share consolidation in an explanatory circular on 5 April.
Notes to editors:
- We are one of the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement businesses and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India, China and Singapore.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. More information can be found at www.aviva.com/sustainability/climate/
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 31 December 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £352 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder capital surplus as at 31 March 2023 was £7.7 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/avivaplc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva