This Halloween could be hell for many homeowners as Aviva data* shows malicious damage claims soar by 160% on 31st October when tricksters take things too far.
- Malicious damage claims soar by 160% on Halloween
- Bonfire Night is also worst day for home burglary – 21% higher than an average day
- Aviva research reveals 42% of homeowners leave windows unlocked when they’re out
And it’s not just malicious damage people need to be aware of, with motor thefts increasing 28% on Halloween as thieves find themselves a four-wheeled treat.
Simon Warsop, Aviva’s Chief Underwriting Officer said: “Halloween brings out the tricksters looking to cause damage and thieves looking to treat themselves to a car. So it’s important to stay vigilant and take simple measures to minimise the risk. Put your car in the garage if you have one and tidy any garden tools or ornaments so they can’t be used to damage your property.
“Theft and malicious damage are covered as standard on Aviva home and motor insurance policies. If the worst does happen we will always look to pay the claim quickly, but it’s best to take steps now to avoid being a victim of crime in the first place.”
Aviva top tips to avoid a nasty trick this Halloween:
1. If you have a garage, put the car away for the night
2. Move garden ornaments and potted plants inside the house or out of sight
3. Don’t answer the door to trick-or-treaters, if you don’t want to
4. Leave a radio and lights on to give the impression that people are at home
5. Make sure sheds, garages and other out-buildings have robust locks
Burglars Bonfire Bonanza
It’s not just Halloween that homeowners need to be prepared for. Aviva data shows that household theft claims increase by 21% on Bonfire Night as burglars take advantage of dark nights, big bangs and empty homes to bag some loot.
And research carried out as part of the Aviva ‘Home: Safe and Secure?’ report found that many are leaving their homes at risk of burglary when they go out. Four out of 10 (42%)** homeowners admit to leaving windows unlocked when they are out of their homes, with nearly one in five residents (18%) confessing that they ‘rarely’ or ‘never’ lock theirs.
Warsop continued: “The bangs and crashes of Bonfire Night give the ideal cover for burglars on the prowl. So, if you’re going out to a fireworks party, make sure your home is locked and secure. And if you’re having a party at home, don’t make it easy for opportunist thieves by leaving the front door or windows open.”
Aviva Top Tips to deter burglars
- Use a timer-switch to turn on lights as it gets dark.
- If you’re going away for any length of time, don’t advertise on social media that your house will be empty.
- If you have a garage, put away your car and bikes.
- Lock away ladders, bins and garden ornaments which an opportunistic burglar might use to gain entry to your home.
- Double-check windows and doors before you leave the house.
- If you have a security device, use it.
The following infographic has also been created to help customers keep their homes and belongings safe and secure.
If you are a journalist and would like further information, please contact:
John Franklin | Aviva Press Office | 07800 692110 | email@example.com
Notes to editors:
*Ten year’s worth of Aviva Claims Data 2006-15
**Poll of 2,001 UK adults from across the UK carried out by Censuswide Research on behalf of Aviva in August 2016.
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £289 billion in assets.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £30.7 billion in benefits and claims in 2015.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva