Aviva’s most unusual insurance requests made by wealthy customers
As a leading insurer of some of the UK’s most lavish homes, Aviva is regularly asked to insure some luxurious and often unusual possessions.
Looking back over the last ten years, Aviva has listed its strangest claims and requests for insurance cover from its high net worth customers. Among which features an ornamental Ferrari, a 72 foot dinosaur and a pesky badger.1
Aviva has been asked to insure:
- A 1970s Ferrari F1 car, still in full working order but kept on a plinth in a hallway in the house.
- A life-size fibreglass model of a Brontosaurus.
- A decommissioned MIG fighter jet kept in the back garden.
- French holiday home let out for a week long nudist convention.
- Entire garage converted to house a collection of 1950s American petrol station memorabilia.
- £200k collection of 1st edition James Bond novels.
- Country house taken over by a film crew and turned into a haunted house.
- £700k mint condition vintage Star Wars collection, most of which is still in the boxes.
Aviva insurance claims:
- Badger ate my swimming pool: Claim for damage to the lining of a swimming pool which had been chewed and scratched by a badger. The customer sent the insurer the badger fur retrieved from the filter, as evidence.
- Harpoon gun sparks claim: A customer was modifying the pressure on the harpoon gun he used for scuba diving when it unexpectedly went off, launching the spear through the bedroom wall and fusing the electrical wiring.
- CarCoon saved my car: A classic car had a lucky escape when a ladder fell on it while in the owner’s garage. Fortunately, the precious vehicle was kept in a plastic air-filled bubble called a CarCoon, which protected it from any damage.
Richard Alger, high net worth underwriter for Aviva Private Clients, said: “It doesn’t matter how much money you have, protecting the possessions you love is just as important to the rich and famous as it is to anyone else.
“It’s fascinating to hear the more unusual requests for insurance cover as it goes to show that we all have unique tastes and interests. It can be difficult putting a value on a one-off item, like a life-size brontosaurus. However, we have more than twenty years’ high net worth insurance experience alongside a team of expert valuers.”
Notes to editors:
1 Aviva high net worth data 2007 to 2017 for high net worth customers
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.