Aviva today announces it has completed a £53 million bulk purchase annuity transaction with the General Motors (VACPF)* Pension Fund. The sponsoring employer, General Motors Company, is a global vehicle manufacturer.
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities of 1,392 members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Fund. The members will see no change in the amount of benefits which they are paid as a result of the transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by Aon using its Pathway service. The trustee of the scheme received legal services from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP and CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “We’ve worked closely with the Trustees of the General Motors Pension Fund to complete this transaction. Aviva’s robust capital position and experience were important considerations for the Trustees when selecting an insurer to secure member benefits.”
Rob Assinder, Chair of the Trustee of General Motors (VACPF) Pension Fund, said: “Insuring our members' benefits with Aviva provides them with long term security and was made possible through a collaborative period of intensive preparation led by Aon, with legal advice from CMS and Eversheds Sutherland.”
Michael Walker, Principal Consultant, Aon Solutions UK Limited, said: “This transaction with the General Motors (VACPF) Pension Fund was able to complete rapidly, capturing favourable pricing, due to the enhanced level of preparation completed between Aon and the in-house pensions team and by using Aon's Pathway service which is specifically designed for schemes of this size."
*Vauxhall Associated Companies Pension Fund
+44 (0)7385 404 972
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2020, we paid £30.6 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the most demanding target of any major insurance company in the world. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Aviva has been leading this agenda for decades: Aviva was the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006 and we are champions of renewable energy and energy storage at our offices, allowing us to achieve our 2030 carbon reduction target (70% reduction on 2010 levels) 10 years early. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We are focused on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our international businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £535 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £13.0 billion (FY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.