- New service gives people personal guidance about preventative steps and action
- Service launched as threat of fraud and scams intensifies due to COVID-19
Aviva is today pleased to announce the launch of its online scam reporting service, reinforcing its long-standing commitment to keeping customers and their money secure at a time when financial scams are on the rise. The launch of the online reporting tool will allow people to actively report suspected fraudulent activity in order to receive personal guidance on what action to take.
Aviva has launched its new service at a time when consumers appear to be experiencing a dramatic increase in attempted scams, particularly those which use coronavirus as the hook to entice potential victims. Action Fraud, the UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime, reported a 400% increase in coronavirus-related fraud reports from February to March*.
The scam reporting service can be accessed via Aviva’s new Fraud Hub on its website. It allows people to report any suspicious contact which appears to be from Aviva, whether it be in person, or by post, email, call or text - particularly those which relate to insurance, savings and retirement products.
Matt Chapman, Group Fraud Risk Director at Aviva said:
“The launch of our scam reporting service is an important step forward in helping to protect our customers and the public from fraud. We believe we have a responsibility to work in partnership with the industry to protect people from financial crime – particularly where the Aviva brand name is being used without our consent. We’re adapting and utilising our existing operations, experience and skills to protect people, and their money, at a time when they are arguably more vulnerable than ever.
“We believe we’re one of the first insurers to launch an online reporting tool which allows people to actively report suspected fraudulent activity in order to receive personal guidance on what action to take.
“The types of financial scams and misleading consumer advice we’re seeing right now are not much different to those we see at any other time. Sadly though, it’s during this difficult time that fraudsters are using coronavirus to take advantage of unprecedented levels of consumer fears over money. The industry needs to work together to support each other and our customers.”
Aviva’s Financial Crime Intelligence Unit will investigate every incident which is reported, respond and give guidance to individuals about what action to take.
The new Fraud Hub is also home to a wealth of practical tips and information about how people can best protect themselves and their money against fraud. Aviva’s Financial Crime team will regularly update these resources as fraudsters’ tactics evolve.
The Fraud Hub can be found here: https://www.aviva.co.uk/help-and-support/protect-yourself-from-fraud/
email@example.com | +44 7800 692 548
firstname.lastname@example.org I +44 7855 955 531
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.