Giving more savers a chance of a decent retirement.
On 6th April 2019, minimum auto-enrolment contributions will rise to 8% of earnings. This will typically be made up of 3% from employers and 5% from employees. Current minimum contributions are 5% (2% from employers and 3% from employees).
Auto-enrolment has been incredibly successful since it launched in 2012, introducing almost 10 million more people to pension saving.
We’ve written a one-page guide to auto-enrolment for media use.
So far, employers and employees have taken auto-enrolment in their stride with almost 10 million more people now saving into a pension.
But contributions have to rise to give more savers a chance of a decent retirement. Contributions started at 2% of earnings which was a good way of easing people into the idea of retirement saving, but that was never going to be enough to provide most people with a comfortable retirement.
The increase to 8% that is coming in April is another step in the right direction. And it’s a smart time to introduce the increase as it will coincide with increases in minimum wage, income tax allowances and a common time for pay rises.
I hope this will minimise the number of people who consider opting out and help continue the great efforts that have been made over the past six years.
0117 928 5843
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £331 billion in assets (as at 31 December 2018). Total group assets under management at the Aviva group are £470 billion (as at 31 December 2018).
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; in 2017, we paid out 98% of all our claims across all our markets and insurance products. We paid £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.