Aviva announces the sale of its entire shareholding in Spanish life insurance and pensions joint ventures to Bankia.
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) announces the sale of its entire shareholding1 in life insurance and pensions joint ventures Cajamurcia Vida2 and Caja Granada Vida3 to Bankia4, for a total consideration of €202 million (£178 million)5.
The consideration represents 2.1 times Aviva’s share of the IFRS net asset value6 and 22.5 times Aviva’s share of earnings after tax6 of these businesses. The transaction will result in an increase of approximately £150 million5 in Aviva’s Solvency II capital surplus.
Following the restructuring of the Spanish banking system, which started in 2010, and the subsequent consolidation among Aviva’s banking partners, Aviva has taken steps to protect the value of its distribution agreements in Spain. Aviva sold its shareholdings in its joint ventures with Bankia in 2012 and Novacaixagalicia Grupo in 2014, and in 2017 it sold the majority of its remaining business to Santalucía. Together with the sale announced today, the combined proceeds amount to €1.6 billion (£1.3 billion)5.
The transaction is subject to regulatory and anti-trust approvals and is expected to complete in the second quarter of 2018.
Following completion of the transaction, Aviva will retain a stake in a small life insurance operation, Pelayo Vida7, and a residual support centre in Spain.
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, Aviva, said:
"This sale is a strong return for our shareholders. It means that over the past five years we have generated proceeds of £1.3 billion from selling almost all of our Spanish operations. The transaction further simplifies Aviva, strengthens our already healthy capital position and is another example of our focus on attractive, growing markets where we have high quality franchises."
1 Aviva holds 50% shareholding in Cajamurcia Vida and 25% shareholding in Caja Granada
2 Cajamurcia Vida y Pensiones de Seguros y Reaseguros, S.A.
3 Caja Granada Vida, Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros, S.A.
4 Bankia, S.A.
5 Proceeds based on EUR-GBP exchange rates at time of the transactions
6 Data as of 31 December 2016 and for the full year 2016
7 Pelayo Vida Seguros y Reaseguros, S.A.
Yasmin Saleh +44(0)20 7662 8710
Chris Esson +44 (0)20 7662 8115
Diane Michelberger +44 (0)20 7662 0911
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £350 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £475 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Aviva launches new midmarket approach
14 Jan 2019
Minimum auto-enrolment contributions will rise to 8%
8 Jan 2019
Riskmas time – don’t let your Christmas go up in smoke
21 Dec 2018
New subscription-style insurance gives greater choice and flexibility
5 Dec 2018
Delia Smith bakes rainbow cake to support LGBT inclusivity in sport...
30 Nov 2018
The retirement dream may not be the retirement reality
28 Nov 2018
Aviva to acquire majority shareholding in Neos Ventures
21 Nov 2018
Equal parental leave shows men are eager to share childcare
20 Nov 2018
12 Nov 2018
Approaching retirement with a blindfold on
7 Nov 2018
Beware the bad ‘guy’ as burglary claims soar on Bonfire Night
2 Nov 2018
UK adults missing out on 11 hours sleep each week
25 Oct 2018
Millennials are UK’s unlikely community champions
24 Oct 2018
Aviva launches “Mid-Life MOT” for its over 45s
18 Oct 2018
We paid 98% of all claims in 2017
15 Oct 2018
Auto-enrolment switching enquiries jump 80%
12 Oct 2018