Aviva has completed a £30 million buy-out of the British Red Cross Pension Fund and the Scottish Branch British Red Cross Society Retirement Benefits Scheme.1
Aviva will insure the defined benefit liabilities for around 360 members across both schemes, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members. Members will see no change in their benefit entitlement as a result of the transaction.
The Trustees of the schemes were advised throughout the tender process by Barnett Waddingham LLP, with Womble Bond Dickinson LLP providing legal advice.
This deal broadens Aviva’s existing partnership with the British Red Cross to work together on building safer and stronger communities in times of uncertainty and crisis. Earlier this year the partnership launched the Building Resilience Together programme to set up community resilience hubs across the UK aimed at involving people with effective emergency planning, response and recovery in the face of developing climate emergencies.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “We are delighted that the Trustees of the schemes chose Aviva to secure member benefits. Aviva and the British Red Cross have a long heritage, and we have supported the important work they do in building more resilient communities since 2016. We look forward to our relationship continuing as we welcome the scheme members following the buy-out.”
Keith Jecks, Chair of Trustees for the British Red Cross pension funds, said: “It gives me great satisfaction that we have now achieved the Trustees’ long-term goal of securing the benefits of our members through Aviva. We are grateful for the support provided to us by Barnett Waddingham over many years, including as lead adviser for the transaction, and for the constructive engagement of the British Red Cross throughout the process.”
Steve Hitchiner, Partner at Barnett Waddingham, said: “We are delighted to be able to help the Trustees of both schemes secure members’ benefits with Aviva, having advised on their successful de-risking journeys over a number of years. The close collaboration between the Trustees and Society has enabled the schemes to achieve an excellent outcome with Aviva in a busy market.”
Clive MacTavish, British Red Cross Chief Finance Officer, said: “Aviva has been a valued supporter of the British Red Cross since 2016. Through their generous contributions of time, skills and funding, we’ve supported communities in the UK and around the world to be better prepared and able to respond to crises. As well as helping us be there for people when disaster strikes. We're delighted to be working with them again to secure the benefits of both schemes for pension members and, thanks to this collaboration between Aviva and our Pension Trustees, our members can now feel even more secure about their pensions.”
1. Deal completed 31 March 2023
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India, China and Singapore.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- In 2021, we announced our ambition to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. We are aiming to have a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage, Living Pension and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2023, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £358 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder capital surplus as at 30 September 2023 was £7.6 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva