Aviva plc (“Aviva” or the “Group”) is today hosting an ‘In Focus’ investor and analyst briefing on its UK General Insurance (“GI”) Personal Lines business. The event, which commences at 10:00am (GMT), will be hosted by Charlotte Jones, Group CFO, and presented by Adam Winslow, CEO UK & Ireland GI, and Owen Morris, MD UK GI Personal Lines.
Today’s presentation will focus on Aviva’s leading UK GI Personal Lines business, which has strong and profitable growth opportunities in attractive market segments, particularly Retail and High Net Worth. Our customer-centric business is diversified across both products and distribution with deliberate, targeted brand segmentation. With its strong performance track record, it makes a key contribution to Aviva Group, providing cash generation, operating profit, access to customers, and capital diversification. This is underpinned by excellent technical foundations, including in data science and machine learning.
Full year 2022 General Insurance update
Aviva’s GI businesses in the UK, Ireland and Canada continued to trade positively over the closing months of 2022, demonstrating the clear benefits of our diversification across GI products and geographies.
For full year 2022 we estimate a Group combined operating ratio of c.94.6%1, consistent with the guidance we gave at our Q3 trading update in November. The Group’s dividend guidance and outlook for capital returns remain unchanged.
We continue to price appropriately for the high inflation environment, in particular in UK Personal Lines, responding at pace to emerging data and trends.
At a Group level, weather experience for the full year 2022 has been broadly in-line1 with our long-term averages (‘LTA’), and marginally above1 LTA in the fourth quarter. Over the course of 2022, weather experience in the UK & Ireland was only marginally above LTA (+0.4pp1), whilst it was below LTA in Canada (-0.9pp1, with no fourth quarter weather events). In the UK we have been focused on supporting our customers during and after December’s freezing weather, for which we estimate a cost of c.£50m.
UK Personal Lines presentation arrangements
Today’s presentation and analyst Q&A will be live-streamed on www.aviva.com, and a recording will be made available on the website shortly after the event. Analysts are invited to attend in person. Presentation slides will be released on Aviva’s website shortly before the event.
1 Unaudited and subject to finalisation
Analysts & investors:
Rupert Taylor Rea
+44 (0)7385 494 440
Joel von Sternberg
+44 (0)7384 231 238
+44 (0)7837 234 388
+44 (0)7800 694 276
+44 (0)7800 694 859
+44 (0)7800 693 219
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus at 30 September 2022 was £8.8 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
o Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
o LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
o Instagram: www.instagram.com/avivaplc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva