Aviva has completed a £400 million buy-in of the Interserve Pension Scheme, securing the benefits of more than 7,000 members.
The move follows a £300 million pensioner-only buy-in in 2014, and means Aviva has now insured the pension liabilities for all Interserve Section members, comprising 4,300 pensioners and a further 2,800 deferred members in a total deal of more than £700 million. The total transaction includes a buy-in of the remaining members of the Interserve Section accompanied by a reshaping of the existing buy-in policy.
Aviva was selected following a competitive and thorough market process led by Lane Clark & Peacock (LCP).
The Scheme Trustees were independently advised throughout the process by LCP and Sackers who provided legal advice. Tilbury Douglas Construction Limited (TDCL), previously part of the Interserve Group, was the sponsoring employer of the Scheme. TDCL and Interserve Group Limited were advised by PWC and Slaughter and May.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said:
“We’ve worked with the Scheme for more than eight years, so naturally we’re delighted to have been chosen to support them to complete their journey to eventual buy-out.
This has been a complex transaction comprising a new buy-in, along with the restructuring of the existing buy-in. All parties have worked very closely to achieve this optimal outcome in a timely and efficient manner.”
David Trapnell, Chair of Trustees, Interserve Pension Scheme, said:
“We are pleased to have agreed a new solution with Aviva which provides security and certainty to more than 7,000 Scheme members. In order to best protect members’ interests, it was crucial we acted to secure a long-term resolution and Aviva offered the best outcome. We would like to thank Aviva and our advisers who helped us get to this stage.”
Yadu Dashora, Partner at Lane Clark & Peacock LLP, added:
“This was an innovative transaction in many respects, due to the circumstances of the Scheme. We are delighted to have been able to use our experience of restructuring cases to secure members’ benefits with Aviva.
It has been a pleasure working with a Trustee board that clearly puts members interests first, rather than following the path of least resistance.”
Faith Dickson, Partner at Sackers, added:
“The buy-in with Aviva is the culmination of a huge team effort over the last few years, and we are pleased to have been involved in securing this positive outcome for members.”
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus at 30 September 2022 was £8.8 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva