Aviva today announces it has completed a £13 million bulk purchase annuity full buy-out transaction with the trustees of the Musicians’ Union Permanent Officials and Staff Pension Fund.
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities for all members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the scheme.
The scheme trustees were independently advised throughout the process by Barnett Waddingham and Jagger & Associates and both Walkers Solicitors and CMS Cameron McKenna provided legal advice.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “We are delighted to have completed a full buy-out for the Musicians’ Union Permanent Officials and Staff Pension Fund. We worked closely with all parties to ensure a smooth and efficient completion. A transaction of this value demonstrates our appetite for schemes of all sizes.”
Keith Ames, Chair of Trustees for Musicians’ Union Permanent Officials and Staff Pension Fund, said: “We are delighted to have been able to secure our members’ benefits with Aviva, a critical step in the Fund’s journey. Despite our relatively small size as a pension scheme, Aviva worked well with our advisory team to achieve the transaction. Barnett Waddingham expertly led the transaction for the Trustees, supporting their role as actuary and administrator. We have also been supported by Jagger & Associates, Walkers Solicitors and CMS in helping us to achieve this outcome. We were very impressed with the expert knowledge of our advisory team and how well they all worked together to give the support to the Trustees so that we could make the ‘big decisions’ and navigate the challenges we faced.”
Naomi Pohl, General Secretary of the Musicians’ Union, said: “The Union is pleased to have supported the Fund in reaching this milestone step of securing member benefits with Aviva. This has also been a very important step to secure the longer term future of the Union - largely removing the risks associated with the Fund and controlling our expenditure.”
Jonathan Smart, Principal at Barnett Waddingham and Scheme Actuary to the Fund, added: “I’ve had the pleasure of working with the Trustees and the Union for around 8 years as Scheme Actuary, and am really pleased by the outcome they have been able to achieve for the Fund and its members. The collaborative nature between the Union and the Trustees has been incredibly important over the years, but particularly as we moved to, and through, the bulk annuity purchase. Our transaction team were able to capitalise on a market opportunity and support the annuity purchase in line with the Trustees’ wishes – demonstrating our strong relationship with Aviva.”
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus at 30 September 2022 was £8.8 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva