Aviva has signed a binding agreement with the specialist managing general agent Azur Underwriting Ltd to acquire its high-net-worth personal lines business in the UK and Ireland.
The acquisition supports Aviva’s ambition to become the market leader in high-net-worth personal lines. It builds on Aviva’s strong existing distribution relationships, creating an unrivalled proposition and efficient service to brokers in the high-net-worth market.
The Aviva Private Clients business has grown significantly during the past year with the successful transfer of the AXA XL Private Clients team and business. The Azur acquisition provides an opportunity to further strengthen Aviva’s presence in a fast evolving, profitable and growing market.
Under the agreement, Azur’s expert team will transfer to Aviva under TUPE terms and will manage the run-off of the existing Azur Underwriting book. New business written following completion of the deal will be under the Aviva brand, as part of the Aviva Private Clients business.
The transaction will be funded by Aviva Insurance Limited.
Adam Winslow, CEO, Aviva UK & Ireland General Insurance, said: “I’m delighted to confirm we have signed a binding agreement with Azur Underwriting. Once completed it will confirm our place as the market leader in the UK and Ireland private clients market, which is our stated ambition.
“In agreeing the transaction with Azur, we are bringing together a formidable team of experts from within Aviva as well as Azur. It builds on the successful transfer of the AXA XL private clients team, which has already extended our reach and capabilities.
“This acquisition gives us an unrivalled position, enabling us to provide a specialist service to those customers with very high value homes and possessions.”
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group are £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus is £10.3 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva