Aviva, the UK’s leading insurer, announces today it is expanding its investments in fintech and insurtech through a new collaboration with venture capital firm Anthemis.
Aviva aims to transform its customer experience through innovation. To support this goal Aviva, working with Anthemis, has committed to invest new capital in innovative companies that are advancing the digital transformation of the financial services sector. Anthemis will deploy capital on behalf of Aviva through various funds focused on early and growth stage investments1 in fintech and insurtech.
Ben Luckett, Chief Innovation Officer at Aviva*, comments:
We’re always looking for investments that create value for Aviva and our customers.
“We’re always looking for investments that create value for Aviva and our customers. Not just short-term financial gain, but investments that give us access to the latest technologies and the best insight. They help us shape our strategy, how we do business and how we meet our customers’ ever-changing needs.
“We are very pleased to strengthen our partnership with Anthemis and extend our access to fintech and insurtech start-ups. Anthemis is an exciting platform which gives us that strategic seat at the table.
“Anthemis has a record of putting diversity and inclusion at the heart of its investment decisions, and we will work closely to ensure that all investment opportunities are evaluated with due regard to diversity and inclusion.”
Anthemis Founder and Chief Executive Officer Amy Nauiokas, said:
“For over 10 years, Anthemis has sought to partner with individuals, companies and institutions that share in our mission to build a more resilient, representative and inclusive financial services ecosystem that functions in the service of our society.
“Our partnership with Aviva will allow us to extend our commitment to reshaping financial services with an increasingly diverse cohort of founders. A more representative financial services ecosystem is not possible without the support of large institutions, and so we are particularly encouraged to work alongside Aviva whose leadership is an embodiment of this.”
1 Early stage investment (Pre-seed - Series A): Early stage businesses generally have a tested prototype or service model and have developed a business plan. The company may be generating early stage revenue but might not be profitable yet. Growth Stage Investment (Series B - beyond): Growth stage businesses have solid traction and existing customers, generating recurring revenues and experiencing solid growth.
*Ben Luckett has been appointed Chief Innovation Officer on 20 January 2021. For the past few years, Ben and his team have made great progress with Aviva Ventures, making strategic investments in early-stage businesses that have the potential to transform the insurance industry. Ben will now build on this to drive Aviva’s innovation agenda forward, developing customer-centric propositions.
Anthemis cultivates change in financial services by investing in, growing and sustaining businesses committed to improving the world. We are founded on three guiding principles — authentic collaboration, virtuous cycle outcomes, and diversity and inclusivity — and our deep understanding of markets and models, passion for emerging technology and values inspire everything we do. By creating fertile ground for a diverse group of startups, investors, entrepreneurs, institutions, academics and visionaries to converge, we believe we can solve the financial services world’s most pressing challenges faster, better and for the benefit of all.
+44 (0)7800 694 859
+44 (0)7800 693 219
+44 (0)7385 382 206
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India and China.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- In 2021, we announced our ambition to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. We are aiming to have a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage, Living Pension and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2023, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £358 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder capital surplus as at 30 September 2023 was £7.6 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva