Aviva plc (‘Aviva’) today announces the appointment of Doug Brown as CEO of UK & Ireland Life Insurance. Doug is currently CEO of Canada Life in the UK and will join Aviva’s Group Executive Committee, reporting to Aviva Group CEO, Amanda Blanc. Doug is expected to join Aviva in April 2021 and his appointment is subject to regulatory approval.
Doug brings to Aviva substantial, senior management experience from the life insurance sector, built over three decades in the industry. Doug has led Canada Life’s UK business for the past six years where he transformed the operation to position it for growth. Prior to this he was Canada Life’s UK Chief Operating Officer. Doug has also held a number of other senior roles in the sector including Chief Risk Officer at Aviva Europe and Regional President of AIG Life, UK & Ireland.
Doug succeeds Angela Darlington who has decided to move away from corporate life and will leave Aviva in April 2021, after a period of handover with Doug.
Aviva’s UK Life business is central to Aviva’s aim to be the UK’s leading insurer. It has leading positions in key growth areas including bulk purchase annuities, workplace savings and protection.
Amanda Blanc, Aviva Group Chief Executive Officer, said:
“Our aim is to be the UK’s leading insurer, providing customers with all their savings, retirement and insurance needs, at every step of their lives. Doug is a great appointment for Aviva and he will play a key role as we transform Aviva’s performance in the UK.
“Angela Darlington has been with Aviva for nearly two decades across a number of senior roles. She has been a relentless champion of our customers and values throughout her time at Aviva and she goes with our thanks and very best wishes.”
Doug Brown, said:
“Aviva is very well placed for success in the UK with a strong brand and excellent partner and customer relationships. I am excited to be joining Aviva and extending our leadership in the life insurance market.”
+44 (0)7800 694 276
+44 (0)7800 694 859
+44 07385 382206
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. We were the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006, we have invested £6bn in green assets since 2015 and we are a member of the UN Net Zero Asset Owner Alliance.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our international businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion (HY20) and our Solvency II capital surplus is £11.8 billion (Q320). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, latest B-Roll, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.