The new school year can be a nerve-wracking experience for families. This year especially so, following a long period at home, without school, nursery and playgroups. To help colleagues and families across the country, Aviva is offering parents a half-day of leave to help make their child’s first day at a new school a little easier.
Since 2016, Aviva UK employees have been able to take a half-day to drop-off or pick-up their child on the first day at a new school. This leave is in addition to holiday entitlement and is available to parents of children starting a new primary or secondary school.
Since it was first introduced, over 1,000 UK employees have taken Aviva up on the additional leave opportunity.
Felicity Corrigan, who works for Aviva in Norwich said; "I’m relieved that when school starts, my kids will be in the same location for the first time and that homeschooling is over. Lockdown was definitely challenging for us all - a juggling act for me with any of the usual support system removed. Being able to take half a day off for my son’s first day of school is a nice touch.
"It’s another great benefit to working at Aviva. I’m going to take mine at the end of the day so I can be there for pickup and chats about the day."
This leave opportunity exists alongside other family-friendly policies. In November 2017, Aviva introduced a groundbreaking equal parental leave policy, offering 26 weeks of paid leave to UK mums and dads when a new child arrives. The company also introduced a scheme in October 2017 to give greater benefits to employees with caring responsibilities.
Caroline Hardy, who also works for Aviva in Norwich, said; "My son is starting secondary school this week and has ADHD. He’s worked hard to improve his focus, but lockdown set that back a bit, so starting a new school this year will be be a lot for him to take in. Taking half a day of leave is one of the great added benefits of working at Aviva. It was really easy to do – I just spoke to my line manager and logged it on the system. I’m actually taking the other half as holiday so I can drop the kids off and pick them up at the end of the day."
Danny Harmer, Aviva’s Chief People Officer said; "The first day at a new school is one of life’s momentous occasions for children and parents. This year is particularly poignant as families have spent lockdown juggling home schooling with work and children have been away from school since March.
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our International businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.0 billion (HY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.