The British Red Cross and Aviva, the international insurance group, have today (15 February), launched a three year partnership to help communities around the world prepare for and respond to disasters. Together, the organisations will aim to ensure communities are better informed, prepared, and therefore more resilient when the next disaster strikes.
Last year the Red Cross and Aviva announced Aviva’ s support of the charity’s free emergency app, which provides real time alerts and advice if there is a risk of severe weather or other emergencies.
Aviva, which has more than 29,000 employees in 16 markets across the UK, Europe, Canada and Asia, aims to share with the Red Cross its expertise in risk management and raise funds over the next three years. The support and money raised by Aviva will help the Red Cross to continue to build stronger and safer communities.
Aviva Group General Counsel and Company Secretary, Kirsty Cooper said,
“This partnership is very much in keeping with our values of “care more” and “create legacy”. We are there when disaster strikes and Aviva and the Red Cross are both committed to helping people prepare for and cope with emergencies. Together, we will help communities become more resilient, safer and stronger in times of uncertainty and crisis.”
As a member of the Disaster Relief Alliance, Aviva will help fund investment in four key areas of Red Cross work globally and in the UK: Preparedness, response, recovery, and innovation.
The Red Cross responds to hundreds of emergencies every year, most of which do not make headlines or receive public support, yet all are equally devastating to those affected. Red Cross teams are often already working in vulnerable areas prior to a disaster occurring, carrying out resilience and preparedness work to ensure that when disaster strikes the damage is minimised. The Disaster Relief Alliance will ensure more funds are available to continue this work, as well as the long-term reconstruction recovery programmes.
As part of the partnership, Aviva employees around the world will have the chance to donate funds during large scale emergencies. Aviva will also be matching employee donations during the partnership.
British Red Cross Director of Fundraising, Mark Astarita said, “We are thrilled to be launching a partnership with Aviva. We are looking forward to combining our expertise and resources to have a long term impact on the lives of thousands of vulnerable communities. These vital funds will also us to continue helping people prepare and respond to disaster, adapt to climate change and anticipate the issues they face today, before they become greater problems tomorrow.”
Aviva - Paul Lebidineuse +44 (0) 7800 690960
Notes to Editors
The British Red Cross
The British Red Cross helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We are part of a global voluntary network, responding to conflicts, natural disasters and individual emergencies.
We enable vulnerable people in the UK and abroad to prepare for and withstand emergencies in their own communities. And when the crisis is over, we help them to recover and move on with their lives.
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 34* million customers, across 16 markets worldwide.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £245 billion in assets.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £24.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2014.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
* Before the deduction of Aviva and Friends Life overlapping customers.