Aviva today announces an agreement to acquire a majority shareholding in Wealthify Group Limited, the holding company of Wealthify.
Wealthify is a low cost, 'robo' investment service which is making investment affordable and accessible to the UK mass market. The transaction is subject to regulatory approval.
The investment is part of Aviva’s strategy to build customer loyalty by providing customers with a wide range of insurance and investment services all managed through the convenience and simplicity of Aviva's digital hub, MyAviva.
Wealthify will be accessible to Aviva’s customers through MyAviva, where it will be available alongside other Aviva products and services. Aviva’s investment will also support Wealthify’s business development, helping to accelerate Wealthify’s future growth plans.
Launched in April 2016 and based in Cardiff, Wealthify aims to attract millennials and those who are new to investment by providing a simple, easy to use and low fee digital investment service. For a minimum investment of £1 customers can invest in one of five diversified investment plans through ISAs and general investment accounts.
Blair Turnbull, Managing Director, Aviva UK Digital, said:
"Wealthify aims to take the complexity out of investing. It is remarkably easy to use, with no complicated jargon, no expensive fees, and you can start investing with as little as £1. It is particularly aimed at traditional cash savers, who are seeking to diversify their investments, and also at millennials who appreciate an effortless and straightforward digital experience.
“Wealthify combines a smart management team with great technology and a start up culture. Together with the brand and financial strength of Aviva, we are very excited about the future opportunity, making Wealthify available to Aviva customers through the convenience of our MyAviva online and App experience.
“This is another important step in Aviva’s digital strategy. It underlines our commitment to invest in and partner with leading digital businesses, allowing our customers to benefit from new technology and making insurance and investments simpler, easier and more convenient.”
Richard Theo, Co-founder and CEO of Wealthify, said:
“It’s with great excitement that we’re announcing the partnership with Aviva today. This significant investment in the emerging ‘robo’ market, by one of the world’s largest and most recognised financial services brands, is validation of the vision we set out to achieve three years ago to change investing for the better. Aviva’s investment and access to their millions of UK customers gives us confidence that we can become the leader in this market in the UK and beyond.
“We are particularly proud that our business was born in Cardiff, home to a thriving financial services, software and start-up eco-system, which benefits enormously from the Welsh Government’s vision to position Cardiff and Wales as one of the UK’s leading locations for fintech and entrepreneurs.“
Aviva’s investment in our business reflects a clear shift in market demand for high-quality, technology-enabled financial services solutions like Wealthify. With the backing of such an established and trusted consumer finance brand, we feel ever more confident in our mission to bring the benefits of investing to mass-market savers and encourage them to embrace our service as a hassle free way to invest.
“The capital investment from Aviva will be used primarily to accelerate our ambitious growth plans as well as develop our technology to enhance the proposition. We will remain focused on simplicity, affordability and transparency, and strive to make investing accessible to everyone.”
020 7662 3131
020 7662 6700
029 2009 9073
- This release contains statements relating to Aviva’s announcement of the proposed acquisition of a majority stake in Wealthify. At the time of writing, this acquisition remains subject to regulatory approval. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any statements, which speak only as of the date that they were made. We do not undertake to update our statements except as required by applicable law and do not provide any representation, assurance or guarantee that the occurrence of the events expressed or implied in any statements will actually occur.
- The value of an investment and any income from it may go down as well as up, and the investor may not get back the original amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future returns. Any views or opinions expressed about Aviva or Wealthify are those of the author and should not be viewed as indicating any guarantee of return from the use of either MyAviva or Wealthify as a means of accessing investment services; nor should they be regarded as advice of any nature.
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers, across 16 markets worldwide.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016. By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/newsroom/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc.
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
- Wealthify was launched in April 2016 by award-winning technology entrepreneur, Dr Richard Theo and chartered wealth manager, Michelle Pearce.
- Based in Cardiff, Wealthify is authorised and regulated by the FCA to manage investments and does so through an online service
- Wealthify aims to democratise investing by helping 1 million UK savers become investors in the next decade.
- With a minimum investment of £1, Wealthify makes investment accessible to everyone, and customers can add to their investment plans or withdraw their money whenever they like without notice or penalty.
- It is a fully digital service available across desktop, tablet and mobile, as well as by app for iOS and Android.
- Wealthify has won a number of awards for its platform and service and was named one of Techworld’s Top 10 UK FinTech Start-ups to watch.
Follow Wealthify on: