Aviva announces sale of shareholding in First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”).
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) today announces that it has agreed to sell its entire 49% shareholding in its joint venture in Taiwan, First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”) to Aviva’s joint venture partner, First Financial Holding Co. Ltd. (“FFH”).
Following a strategic review of Aviva Taiwan, Aviva concluded that the business is not central to the group’s strategy to focus on markets where it can achieve scale and profitability or have a distinct competitive advantage.
The transaction has a negligible impact1 on Aviva’s IFRS net assets, Solvency II capital position and IFRS operating profit. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval, and is expected to complete in 2018.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman of Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital, said:
“We have refocused Aviva’s Asian business on core markets where we have excellent opportunities to grow. With our strong partners and our digital focus, we are intent on disrupting the traditional insurance market.”
1 On the basis of carrying value at 30 June 2017
+44 (0)20 7662 8710
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada.
- Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/newsroom.
- Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avivaplc/.
- Follow us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc.
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Aviva joins the Trinity Challenge
14 Sep 2020
Aviva to sell majority shareholding in Aviva Singapore*
11 Sep 2020
Half of UK workers plan career changes in next 12 months due to covid
11 Sep 2020
1 in 3 homes are multi-generational
11 Sep 2020
Financial strain causes poor mental health in third of Brits
3 Sep 2020
Aviva offers time off for child’s first day at new school
2 Sep 2020
Majority of Brits are worried about funding retirement
19 Aug 2020
British employees feel positive about returning to work – but businesses have work to do to make workplaces safe
13 Aug 2020
Aviva plc 2020 interim results announcement*
6 Aug 2020
Aviva named in Times Top 50 Employers for Women
4 Aug 2020
Almost half of people don’t report coronavirus scams
22 Jul 2020
Rodent infestations soar in UK homes during lockdown
17 Jul 2020
Aviva completes the sale of FPIL
16 Jul 2020
More UK adults can set up a smart phone than bleed a radiator
10 Jul 2020
Aviva appoints Amanda Blanc as Chief Executive Officer
6 Jul 2020
37% of savers have taken action relating to their pension in lockdown
1 Jul 2020