Aviva announces sale of shareholding in First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”).
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) today announces that it has agreed to sell its entire 49% shareholding in its joint venture in Taiwan, First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”) to Aviva’s joint venture partner, First Financial Holding Co. Ltd. (“FFH”).
Following a strategic review of Aviva Taiwan, Aviva concluded that the business is not central to the group’s strategy to focus on markets where it can achieve scale and profitability or have a distinct competitive advantage.
The transaction has a negligible impact1 on Aviva’s IFRS net assets, Solvency II capital position and IFRS operating profit. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval, and is expected to complete in 2018.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman of Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital, said:
“We have refocused Aviva’s Asian business on core markets where we have excellent opportunities to grow. With our strong partners and our digital focus, we are intent on disrupting the traditional insurance market.”
1 On the basis of carrying value at 30 June 2017
+44 (0)20 7662 8710
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada.
- Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/newsroom.
- Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avivaplc/.
- Follow us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc.
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Shoppers stay local, while households keep it casual
22 Jan 2021
Aviva makes new investments in innovation
21 Jan 2021
Aviva gives employees wellbeing leave
21 Jan 2021
Our OUTstanding Role Models
19 Jan 2021
Home-buying plans on hold for 1 in 5 UK adults
13 Jan 2021
Introverts and younger workers most in need of support
11 Jan 2021
Mark Versey appointed CEO of Aviva Investors
4 Jan 2021
Potatoes chipped my car and my phone fell in custard
31 Dec 2020
Amanda Blanc speaks to The Sunday Times
23 Dec 2020
Employee confidence in a safe return to the workplace drops
17 Dec 2020
Flood risk throws cold water on plans to sell homes
16 Dec 2020
Aviva appoints Doug Brown as CEO of UK & Ireland Life Insurance
15 Dec 2020
Aviva to sell entire shareholding in Aviva Vietnam
14 Dec 2020
Aviva completes sale of Hong Kong joint venture
10 Dec 2020
Employees struggle with ‘always on’ culture
10 Dec 2020
Aviva announces £103m bulk annuity deal
9 Dec 2020