Aviva announces sale of shareholding in First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”).
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) today announces that it has agreed to sell its entire 49% shareholding in its joint venture in Taiwan, First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”) to Aviva’s joint venture partner, First Financial Holding Co. Ltd. (“FFH”).
Following a strategic review of Aviva Taiwan, Aviva concluded that the business is not central to the group’s strategy to focus on markets where it can achieve scale and profitability or have a distinct competitive advantage.
The transaction has a negligible impact1 on Aviva’s IFRS net assets, Solvency II capital position and IFRS operating profit. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval, and is expected to complete in 2018.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman of Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital, said:
“We have refocused Aviva’s Asian business on core markets where we have excellent opportunities to grow. With our strong partners and our digital focus, we are intent on disrupting the traditional insurance market.”
1 On the basis of carrying value at 30 June 2017
+44 (0)20 7662 8710
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada.
- Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/newsroom.
- Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avivaplc/.
- Follow us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc.
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Younger employees more likely to talk about money worries
4 Jul 2022
Aviva announces £81m payment to UK health insurance customers through COVID-19 Pledge
22 Jun 2022
Aviva and TSB extend home and travel partnership until 2028
16 Jun 2022
Takeup of equal parental leave at Aviva remains high after four years
13 Jun 2022
One in five Brits have started a ‘side hustle’ since March 2020
13 Jun 2022
Aviva joins SignLive to offer British Sign Language interpretation for customers
1 Jun 2022
Ramping up: repairs, renovations and recycling
30 May 2022
Pull over and plug in
27 May 2022
Insurance claims fraud up by 13% in 2021
25 May 2022
£1.1bn in individual protection claims helped more than 53,700 customers and families in 2021
23 May 2022
Chika: Our EMpower Ethnic Minority Role Model
19 May 2022
Aviva plc Q1 2022 Trading Update
18 May 2022
17 May 2022
Voting results of 2022 Annual General Meeting
9 May 2022
Voting results of 2022 General Meeting
9 May 2022
Aviva completes second buy-in transaction with Cruden Investment Limited Retirement Benefits Scheme
6 May 2022