Aviva announces sale of shareholding in First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”).
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) today announces that it has agreed to sell its entire 49% shareholding in its joint venture in Taiwan, First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”) to Aviva’s joint venture partner, First Financial Holding Co. Ltd. (“FFH”).
Following a strategic review of Aviva Taiwan, Aviva concluded that the business is not central to the group’s strategy to focus on markets where it can achieve scale and profitability or have a distinct competitive advantage.
The transaction has a negligible impact1 on Aviva’s IFRS net assets, Solvency II capital position and IFRS operating profit. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval, and is expected to complete in 2018.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman of Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital, said:
“We have refocused Aviva’s Asian business on core markets where we have excellent opportunities to grow. With our strong partners and our digital focus, we are intent on disrupting the traditional insurance market.”
1 On the basis of carrying value at 30 June 2017
+44 (0)20 7662 8710
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada.
- Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/newsroom.
- Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avivaplc/.
- Follow us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc.
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Sir Adrian Montague to retire as Chairman of Aviva
21 Jan 2020
UK’s first-time parents fail to financially protect their families
20 Jan 2020
Aviva research reveals advisers’ top five priorities for retirement planning
15 Jan 2020
Tech Nation: number of internet-connected devices grows to 10 per home
15 Jan 2020
Aviva appoints George Culmer as Senior Independent Director
20 Dec 2019
Changes to the Aviva plc Board
3 Dec 2019
One in 10 UK residents know none of their neighbours
29 Nov 2019
Aviva signs up to UN Net Zero Asset Owners Alliance Commitment
27 Nov 2019
Aviva adds stewardship funds to adviser platform
26 Nov 2019
Aviva launches specialised insurance for renewable energy
25 Nov 2019
Cancellation of Listing
25 Nov 2019
Aviva plc Capital Markets Day 2019*
20 Nov 2019
Aviva plc statement on Asia strategic review
18 Nov 2019
Aviva announces new flexible repayment options to Equity Release
11 Nov 2019
‘Sandwich Generation’ health concerns in the UK
8 Nov 2019
Cold callers flouting the law
6 Nov 2019