Aviva announces sale of shareholding in First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”).
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) today announces that it has agreed to sell its entire 49% shareholding in its joint venture in Taiwan, First Aviva Life (“Aviva Taiwan”) to Aviva’s joint venture partner, First Financial Holding Co. Ltd. (“FFH”).
Following a strategic review of Aviva Taiwan, Aviva concluded that the business is not central to the group’s strategy to focus on markets where it can achieve scale and profitability or have a distinct competitive advantage.
The transaction has a negligible impact1 on Aviva’s IFRS net assets, Solvency II capital position and IFRS operating profit. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval, and is expected to complete in 2018.
Chris Wei, Executive Chairman of Aviva Asia and Global Chairman of Aviva Digital, said:
“We have refocused Aviva’s Asian business on core markets where we have excellent opportunities to grow. With our strong partners and our digital focus, we are intent on disrupting the traditional insurance market.”
1 On the basis of carrying value at 30 June 2017
+44 (0)20 7662 8710
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada.
- Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us.
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/newsroom.
- Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/avivaplc/.
- Follow us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc.
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
Aviva uncovers changing savings and spending habits during the UK lockdown
3 Jun 2020
Aviva urges fire safety as lockdown leads to incidents at home
1 Jun 2020
Aviva announces £95m bulk annuity deal with the British Bankers’ Association
28 May 2020
Home life in lockdown: tech, tensions and tidying up
27 May 2020
Aviva Master Trust appoints two new Trustees
27 May 2020
Voting results of 2020 Annual General Meeting
26 May 2020
21 May 2020
Aviva appoints George Culmer as Chairman
19 May 2020
Aviva Italy increasing its donations to more than €400k to Milan Municipality
14 May 2020
£982m paid out to individual protection customers in 2019 as 96.3% of all claims accepted
14 May 2020
Aviva announces £350m bulk annuity transaction with the trustee of the Co-operative Pension Scheme
13 May 2020
Update on arrangements for Annual General Meeting
12 May 2020
Aviva launches scam reporting service
12 May 2020
Aviva Poland help Warsaw University print PPE
1 May 2020
Aviva France pledges support to French economy
27 Apr 2020
Notice of 2020 Annual General Meeting
21 Apr 2020