Aviva welcomes the Global Goals campaign launched this week as part of the United Nations Global Goals for Sustainable Development ( http://www.globalgoals.org [http://www.globalgoals.org/]). On 25 September 2015, 193 world leaders will commit to 17 Global Goals to achieve three critical objectives in the next 15 years: end extreme poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and fix climate change. The Global Goals for Sustainable Development could get these things done in all countries and for all people.
Aviva welcomes the Global Goals campaign launched this week as part of the United Nations Global Goals for Sustainable Development (http://www.globalgoals.org). On 25 September 2015, 193 world leaders will commit to 17 Global Goals to achieve three critical objectives in the next 15 years: end extreme poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and fix climate change. The Global Goals for Sustainable Development could get these things done in all countries and for all people.
Aviva is a founding partner of Project Everyone which aims to bring the Global Goals to every person around the world this month.
Aviva recognises the need to act together, for the long term, to create a legacy for future generations. As an investor and insurer, Aviva campaigns to make global financial markets more sustainable. We invest in low-carbon infrastructure and work with local community and education projects.
To support the Global Goals campaign, Aviva has seconded Amanda Mackenzie, Chief Marketing Officer, to Project Everyone, as executive advisor for the campaign and its legacy.
Speaking about this ground-breaking collaboration, Richard Curtis, founder of Project Everyone, said: “The Millennium Development Goals halved extreme poverty across the world. The new Global Goals for Sustainable Development give us the opportunity to end it for good. There’s no point in going half way. By making the Global Goals famous we can give them their best chance of working around the world - and help make us the first generation to end extreme poverty, the most determined generation in history to end injustice and inequality, and the last generation to be threatened by climate change.”
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, Aviva plc, said:
“The world has never before been united by a set of global goals on poverty, inequality, injustice and climate change. Yet there is nothing more important for the next generation. If the goals are going to work, everyone needs to know about them. Aviva is proud to be helping make the goals famous so they stand the greatest chance of success."
Nigel Prideaux +44 (0)20 7662 0215
Andrew Reid +44 (0)20 7662 3131
Notes to editors:
About Global Goals
The Global Goals campaign was announced on 3rd September 2-15 with a bid to reach 7 billion people in 7 days with news of the Global Goals for Sustainable Development. This unprecedented effort will culminate on 25th September at the UN when 193 world leaders adopt the Global Goals, a series of 17 ambitious targets to end poverty, fight inequality & injustice and tackle climate change for everyone by 2030. If the goals are famous - if people care about what has been promised by the politicians, it greatly increases their chance of being implemented
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 34* million customers, across 16 markets worldwide
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £245 billion in assets.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £24.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2014.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- To find out more about Corporate Responsibility at Aviva, please visit http://www.aviva.com/corporate-responsibility/
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
* Before the deduction of overlapping customers.