Aviva announces it has completed a £900m bulk purchase annuity transaction in July, with the Kingfisher Pension Scheme. Kingfisher plc is a British multinational retailing company headquartered in London, which manages brands including B&Q and Screwfix.
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities for over 8000 members, taking responsibility for the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Plan. Members will see no change in the amount of their benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by Aon. The trustee received actuarial advice from Hymans Robertson and legal advice from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP and Aviva was advised by DLA Piper.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “Kingfisher is a leading multinational retailer with a strong presence in the UK and we’re proud to have helped the Trustees of the Pension Scheme to secure benefits for their members. Throughout the process we’ve been working to an ambitious timeline and thanks to the expertise and collaboration of all parties we completed the transaction within three weeks of exclusivity.”
"We’re proud to have helped the Trustees of the Pension Scheme to secure benefits for their members."
Clive Gilchrist of BESTrustees, Chair of Trustees the Kingfisher Pension Scheme, said: “This is great news for our members. The Trustee, with support from the Kingfisher pension executive team and our external advisers, has successfully completed a third buy-in and secured these existing pensioner members’ benefits through Aviva Life & Pensions UK limited, an insurer which has strong financial credentials and a track record of excellent customer service.”
John Baines, Head of Bulk Annuities at Aon, said: “This third, and largest, buy-in transaction in which Aon has worked with the Kingfisher Trustee really demonstrates the value of developing a clear strategy. The tried-and-tested decision-making framework allowed them to use their previous experience to once again benefit scheme members. The first half of 2021 saw a relatively modest level of activity in the bulk annuity market, which gave rise to an opportunity for the Trustee to move quickly to capture excellent market pricing.”
Simon Daniel, Partner at Eversheds Sutherland, said: “The Trustee had clear objectives for this transaction and was very well prepared. Eversheds Sutherland is delighted to have been part of the team that delivered it for the Scheme. Aviva is a new partner for the Trustee and it was great to work with its advisers to put in place contractual arrangements that meet all parties’ requirements and, most importantly, provide further benefit security for members.”
Media Relations Manager | Savings & Retirement
Notes to editors:
- We are one of the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement businesses and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India, China and Singapore.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. More information can be found at www.aviva.com/sustainability/climate/
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 31 December 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £352 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder surplus is £8.7 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/avivaplc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva