Aviva today announces it has completed a £190m bulk purchase annuity buy-in transaction with the Trustees of the Wyeth Group Pension and Life Assurance Scheme (1997). The sponsoring employer, John Wyeth & Brother Limited, is part of the Pfizer Group which is one of the world’s largest biopharmaceutical companies.
Aviva will insure the defined benefit (DB) pension liabilities for approximately 2000 members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Scheme. The transaction also makes use of Aviva’s innovative Defined Benefit and Contribution Plan, which will ultimately secure benefits for those members with both defined benefit and defined contribution (DC) arrangements following a period after the initial buy-in transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by Mercer on behalf of the Trustees, with Allen & Overy LLP providing legal advice.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “We’ve worked closely with the Trustees and their advisers and are delighted to have helped secure benefits for these members. Our Defined Benefit and Contribution Plan allows both DB and DC arrangements to continue to be held under a single arrangement with Aviva, providing the members with greater flexibility at retirement”.
Debbie Berney, Chair of Trustees Wyeth Group Pension and Life Assurance Scheme, said: “We welcome this transaction as our second phase in ensuring the Scheme is able to meet the full costs of its future pension payments to all members. This has only been achieved by considerable dedication from the Trustees working in partnership with their advisors Mercer, Allen & Overy and FTI Consulting, to achieve this attractive transaction with Aviva, as part of the de-risking plan for the Scheme.”
Patrick McKenna, Senior Director International Pensions at Pfizer, said: “This is another important step for the Scheme and wider Group as we seek to secure members’ benefits and reduce the risk exposures of our pension arrangements. Aviva put forward attractive pricing and innovative proposals to address a complex set of benefits, and we are pleased to partner with them on this transaction."
Deborah McWhinney, Risk Transfer Principal at Mercer, said: “We are delighted to have been able to work with the Trustees to bring the Scheme to the market and achieve such a successful transaction. This is an important milestone for the Trustees in their de-risking journey and represents an impressive outcome for the long term security of members’ benefits.”
Suthan Rajagopalan, Risk Transfer Partner at Mercer, said: “As a follow on to the Trustees’ pensioner buy-in in 2018, the challenge was how to cost effectively insure the residual deferred pensioners. Mercer was pleased to deliver the Trustees both highly competitive market pricing and terms, including a price lock to Scheme assets. This deal’s attractive pricing was in part driven by the trend of improved longevity reinsurer appetite and innovation for deferred pensioner pricing which Aviva was able to tap into for the benefit of the Scheme’s membership as a whole.”
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- At 31 December 2021, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £401 billion. Our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus is £8.8 billion as at 31 March 2022. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva