Aviva today announces it has completed a £64m bulk purchase annuity transaction with the Givaudan UK Pension Plan. Givaudan is a multinational manufacturer based in Switzerland, which develops flavours and fragrances for consumers around the world.
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities for 277 members, taking responsibility for the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Plan. Members will see no change in the amount of their benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by Aon using its Pathway service. The trustee received legal advice from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP and Travers Smith LLP.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “We are delighted to have worked with the trustee of the plan to complete this transaction which brings security for their pension plan members. All parties have worked well to deliver a smooth transaction, with close collaboration and pre-agreed terms helping deliver a positive outcome.”
Robin Storey, Chair of Trustees for the Givaudan UK Pension Plan, said: “The long term protection of our members' benefits has been secured through this buy-in transaction with Aviva. The detailed preparation and strong collaboration across risk settlement and investment workstreams led by Aon, actuarial advice from Willis Towers Watson and legal advice from Eversheds Sutherland and Travers Smith, made this possible.”
Jos Umans, Head of Benefits, Givaudan International SA, said: "The company is pleased to have worked collaboratively with the trustees as part of a joint working group to achieve long term security for members' benefits. This is the culmination of a multi-year plan that has seen the company and the trustee systematically reduce risk via a combination of asset de-risking and member options exercises.”
Michael Walker, Associate Partner at Aon, said: “This transaction with the Givaudan UK Pension Plan was able to complete smoothly by the use of Aon's Pathway service which is specifically designed for schemes of this size. The combination of consistently positive investment returns delivered by Aon's Fiduciary Management investment platform, strong market engagement through Pathway and comprehensive transaction preparation by all advisers, resulted in a highly attractive outcome for all parties."
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2020, we paid £30.6 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the most demanding target of any major insurance company in the world. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Aviva has been leading this agenda for decades: Aviva was the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006 and we are champions of renewable energy and energy storage at our offices, allowing us to achieve our 2030 carbon reduction target (70% reduction on 2010 levels) 10 years early. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We are focused on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience. We also have strategic investments in Singapore, China and India.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group as at 31 December 2020 are £535 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus is £12.5 billion as at 31 March 2021. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva