Aviva has completed a £925 million bulk purchase annuity transaction with the Trustee of the Marks and Spencer Pension Scheme.
This buy-in transaction represents Aviva’s largest bulk annuity deal to date, covering the liabilities for a proportion of the Scheme’s retired members. It builds on the important wider existing corporate relationship that Aviva already has with Marks and Spencer, for which it provides health and general insurance along with travel insurance for its retail banking customers.
Members will see no change in the amount of benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction. It establishes a framework for further, longer term de-risking via the ‘umbrella’ structure now in place.
Last year, Aviva identified bulk annuities as a significant growth opportunity for its UK and Irish businesses and is well-placed to grow in both markets due to its investment capabilities and strong balance sheet. Over the last six months Aviva has expanded its bulk annuity team adding over 30 people, as it competes for larger bulk annuity transactions.
We’re delighted that the Marks and Spencer Pension Scheme has chosen us to insure a proportion of the pension benefits of its members. Not only does this latest deal build on the great relationship we already have with Marks and Spencer but as our largest bulk annuity deal to date, it also perfectly demonstrates our increased appetite for bigger deals. As the UK’s largest multi-line insurer, we’re in a pretty unique position as a provider as we can offer our clients a whole range of insurance products and our customers really appreciate the simplicity this provides.
Graham Oakley, Chairman of the Marks and Spencer Pension Trust, said: “The Scheme’s strong funding position has allowed the Trustee to follow a strategy of reducing risk by aligning investments more closely with the pension benefits we will need to pay to members. This bulk purchase annuity is a significant step in reducing longevity risk being managed by the Trustee, providing additional security for all members’ benefits.”
The competitive bidding process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by LCP on behalf of the Trustee.
In October 2017, Aviva announced the completion of what was, until now, its largest bulk annuity deal to date - a £600 million pensioner buy-in with The Pearson Pension Plan.
Media Enquiries - Aviva Press Office:
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.