The latest pension freedom figures1 report that the freedoms have enjoyed a record year of activity.
Tax year 2018/19 saw a record number of individuals (539,000), taking a record number of payments (2.44 million payments), withdrawing a record amount of money (£8.18 billion).
The total value of flexible payments since the freedoms were introduced in April 2015 now exceeds £25 billion, across more than 1.1 million individuals.
Commenting, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings & Retirement at Aviva said:
“The pension freedoms are a pensions good news story. Savers love the freedoms, and their popularity continues to grow. 164,000 more people took advantage of the freedoms in 2018/19 (539,000) than in 2017/18 (375,000) – a growth of 44%.
Looking beneath the headline figures it is also important to note that there has been no unrestrained dash for cash. The average amount withdrawn by individuals hit a record low of c£15,000 in 2018/19, suggesting little evidence of savers rushing to blow their savings on Lamborghinis.
- ENDS -
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and manages over £346 billion in assets (as at 30 June 2019). Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019).
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; in 2018 we paid £32.9 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library on Flickr, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- Subscribe to our news alerts by email.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.