The latest pension freedom figures1 report that the freedoms have enjoyed a record year of activity.
Tax year 2018/19 saw a record number of individuals (539,000), taking a record number of payments (2.44 million payments), withdrawing a record amount of money (£8.18 billion).
The total value of flexible payments since the freedoms were introduced in April 2015 now exceeds £25 billion, across more than 1.1 million individuals.
Commenting, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings & Retirement at Aviva said:
“The pension freedoms are a pensions good news story. Savers love the freedoms, and their popularity continues to grow. 164,000 more people took advantage of the freedoms in 2018/19 (539,000) than in 2017/18 (375,000) – a growth of 44%.
Looking beneath the headline figures it is also important to note that there has been no unrestrained dash for cash. The average amount withdrawn by individuals hit a record low of c£15,000 in 2018/19, suggesting little evidence of savers rushing to blow their savings on Lamborghinis.
- ENDS -
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.