Aviva has announced the launch of the Aviva Investors Climate Transition Global Equity Fund onto its workplace pension scheme platforms. It is an actively managed equity fund that invests in the shares of companies globally who are responding to climate change.
Businesses which have their workplace pension scheme with Aviva will be able to give their employees the choice to invest in the fund, from today.
Aviva Investors, the global asset management business of Aviva plc, launched the fund last year(1). This is the second equity fund it has launched which is aimed at supporting the transition to a low carbon economy and which uses Aviva Investors’ proprietary methodology for defining climate investment risk.
The fund aims to take a long-term, high conviction investment approach, targeting companies offering goods and services which are providing solutions for climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as investing in those companies that are orientating their business models to be resilient in a low-carbon, warmer world.
The fund will not invest in companies exposed to thermal coal, unconventional fossil fuels, or thermal coal electricity generation, and limits exposure to those producing oil and gas or gas-fired power generation.
We want to offer our pension scheme members simple but effective ways of ensuring that as they save for retirement, their investment is being used for the good of society and the planet.
Laura Stewart-Smith, Head of Workplace Savings and Retirement at Aviva said: “Responsible investing is no longer a ‘nice to have’. The investment and workplace pensions industry has an important role in changing the world for the better, and the launch of this latest fund onto our workplace pension scheme platforms is another step towards making that happen.
"Aviva has been at the forefront of responsible investment for decades and we take our duty very seriously. We want to offer our pension scheme members simple but effective ways of ensuring that as they save for retirement, their investment is being used for the good of society and the planet."
Over the past few years, Aviva’s workplace savings and retirement business has implemented a range of responsible investment initiatives. In 2019, it launched the ‘Stewardship lifestyle strategy’ - a workplace pension default investment strategy that incorporates ethical and ESG considerations. While last year, the Trustees of the Aviva Master Trust announced My Future Focus - which integrates ESG factors into its design and management - as the standard default investment strategy for the Aviva Master Trust.(2)
The Aviva Investors Climate Transition Global Equity Fund is also available on Aviva’s savings and retirement adviser and customer platforms.
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2020, we paid £30.6 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the most demanding target of any major insurance company in the world. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Aviva has been leading this agenda for decades: Aviva was the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006 and we are champions of renewable energy and energy storage at our offices, allowing us to achieve our 2030 carbon reduction target (70% reduction on 2010 levels) 10 years early. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We are focused on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our international businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £535 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £13.0 billion (FY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.