The Aviva Master Trust Trustees are delighted to announce that they have adopted My Future Focus as the standard default investment strategy for the Aviva Master Trust.
My Future Focus offers a very broad and diversified range of asset classes, active asset allocation and fully integrates Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors into its design.
The Trustees’ ambition is for the Aviva Master Trust to be at the forefront of ESG integration and they have worked with Aviva and Aviva Investors to develop the My Future Focus default investment strategy over the last year. Over many years both Aviva and Aviva Investors have sought to take a leading role in corporate social responsibility and responsible investing:
- Aviva was the first carbon neutral international insurer in 2006 and in 2016 became the first insurance company to declare climate neutrality in collaboration with the United Nation’s Climate Neutral Now campaign
- As founding signatory of the Carbon Disclosure Project (2001) and the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (2006), Aviva Investors was recognised at the Responsible Investment Awards in 2017 for Innovation and Industry Leadership and was awarded the Global Leadership Award by the United Nations for its sustainability work in 2018. Aviva Investors’ ESG capability consistently receives top ratings from ShareAction and UNPRI.
The Trustees have formulated their own set of ESG investment beliefs, reflecting their conviction that by including ESG factors into investment decision making, it will reduce overall investment risks while generating sustainable returns for members of the Aviva Master Trust.
My Future Focus consists of both ESG tilted passive and actively managed funds from Aviva Investors’ multi-asset team, investing across a diversified range of asset classes, including developed and emerging market equities and government bonds, sterling and global corporate bonds, property and high yield bonds.
ESG factors are integrated into the My Future Focus default solution in multiple ways.
- Where My Future Focus invests in Aviva Investors’ actively managed funds, ESG factors are integrated into the investment processes, which incorporate Aviva Investors’ proprietary ESG research.
- Where My Future Focus invests in passively managed regional equity funds, Aviva Investors uses its ESG research to tilt these funds towards those companies with a higher ESG score by discarding those ranked in the lowest 10%.
- Companies which derive prescribed levels of revenue from controversial weapons and civilian firearms are excluded, together with companies who consistently fail to engage on important ESG issues.
- In addition, Aviva Investors uses its influence through engagement and voting to promote sustainable business practices, gain insight and reduce investment risk.
This ESG integration within My Future Focus has been running for 12 months already and the Trustees have developed bespoke reporting information with Aviva Investors to monitor its effectiveness.
The previous default strategy, My Future, will be retained as an alternative default alongside My Future Focus and as a default for those employers who do not wish to move to My Future Focus. My Future will continue to be regularly reviewed and overseen by the Trustees.
Jon Parker, Trustee and Chair of the Investment Sub-Committee for the Aviva Master Trust said:
“As independent Trustees of the Aviva Master Trust we are passionate about ESG and focussed on ensuring that we are providing our members with default solutions that deliver strong risk adjusted returns whilst investing responsibly and sustainably in alignment with our ESG beliefs.
“ESG is not just about environmental principles, it’s also about the reduction of investment risk for our Master Trust scheme members. We believe that over the long-term companies with strong ESG credentials will outperform companies that do not take their ESG responsibilities seriously.
“My Future Focus provides our members with a really strong and differentiated default solution that meets these objectives at a very competitive cost.
“Aviva Investors has a very strong reputation for Responsible Investment and their active approach to voting and engagement will be a key benefit for our members."
Martin Palmer, Head of Master Trust for Aviva said:
“We welcome the decision by the Aviva Master Trust Trustees to adopt My Future Focus as the standard default investment strategy for the Aviva Master Trust.
"This development is aligned with Aviva’s overall commitment to ESG across its workplace pensions. In October 2020, Aviva set a 2050 net-zero target for its own auto-enrolment default pension funds.”
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2020, we paid £30.6 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the most demanding target of any major insurance company in the world. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Aviva has been leading this agenda for decades: Aviva was the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006 and we are champions of renewable energy and energy storage at our offices, allowing us to achieve our 2030 carbon reduction target (70% reduction on 2010 levels) 10 years early. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We are focused on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience. We also have strategic investments in Singapore, China and India.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group as at 31 December 2020 are £535 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus is £12.5 billion as at 31 March 2021. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva