Aviva today announces it has completed a £103million bulk purchase annuity transaction for the Homestyle 2007 Pension Scheme.
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities of all 1,294 members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the scheme. Members will see no change in the amount of their benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by EY on behalf of Homestyle Pension Company Limited, the sponsoring employer of the pension scheme. BESTrustees is an independent Trustee to the Homestyle 2007 Pension Scheme. They were advised by Isio and received legal services from Squire Patton Boggs. Homestyle Pension Company Limited received legal advice from Addleshaw Goddard.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: “We are delighted to have worked with the trustee of the scheme to complete this transaction which brings security for their pension scheme members. All parties have worked well to deliver a smooth transaction, with close collaboration and pre-agreed terms helping deliver a positive outcome.”
Taylor Dewar, Partner at EY-Parthenon, commented: “The bulk annuity purchase for the Homestyle 2007 Pension Scheme is a positive outcome for both the scheme members and the sponsoring employer. We are particularly pleased to have been able to move quickly to complete this transaction, giving our client confidence in the transaction in turbulent markets.”
Rachel Tranter, Director at BESTrustees and Chair of Trustee for the Scheme, said: “I am really pleased we’ve been able to complete this transaction, which materially improves the security for all members of the pension scheme. The transaction required all parties to work collaboratively and at speed to take advantage of attractive pricing in the market. It was a great team effort and I am delighted that we’ve been able to bring some welcome news to the scheme members.”
Richard Hassan, Scheme actuary and Director at Isio, said: “I am incredibly proud of the effort and problem solving skills applied by the whole team to enable this transaction to take place in such short timescales. It was a highly complex task to prepare it for buy-out ready. This is a great result for all parties, in particular the members.”
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. We were the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006, we have invested £6bn in green assets since 2015 and we are a member of the UN Net Zero Asset Owner Alliance.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our international businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion (HY20) and our Solvency II capital surplus is £11.8 billion (Q320). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, latest B-Roll, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.