New figures from the Office for National Statistics1 estimate that there are 1.3 million people in the UK carrying a twin responsibility to care for younger and older members of their family.
Two thirds of “sandwich carers” (62%) are women; the peak carer age is about 45; and one in five (19%) spend 20 hours or more each week providing care. This population is more likely to be dissatisfied with their life; more likely to experience symptoms of poor mental health and more likely to be struggling financially.
These are just a few of the reasons why Aviva is committed to supporting its employees who are carrying twin responsibilities by providing targeted support for carers and introducing a new “mid-life MOT” for those aged 45 and over.
Commenting, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings and Retirement at Aviva said:
"As life expectancy increases and more women have children later in life, we can expect the pressures on the “sandwich generation” to grow.
Today’s evidence of this generation’s mid-life stress echoes previous insights that suggest our anxiety peaks and our happiness slumps as we progress through our 40s and 50s.2
In 2019 Aviva will launch a new “mid-life-MOT” for its employees aged 45 and over – providing guidance on how to manage our wealth, work and wellbeing as we progress through what can be the most challenging time in our lives.3
Age should be no barrier to opportunity. Our carers policy 4 and our mid-life-MOT are steps in this direction."
07800 692 299
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £350 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at the Aviva group are £490 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; in 2017, we paid out 98% of all our claims across all our markets and insurance products. We paid £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.