New figures from the Office for National Statistics1 estimate that there are 1.3 million people in the UK carrying a twin responsibility to care for younger and older members of their family.
Two thirds of “sandwich carers” (62%) are women; the peak carer age is about 45; and one in five (19%) spend 20 hours or more each week providing care. This population is more likely to be dissatisfied with their life; more likely to experience symptoms of poor mental health and more likely to be struggling financially.
These are just a few of the reasons why Aviva is committed to supporting its employees who are carrying twin responsibilities by providing targeted support for carers and introducing a new “mid-life MOT” for those aged 45 and over.
Commenting, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings and Retirement at Aviva said:
"As life expectancy increases and more women have children later in life, we can expect the pressures on the “sandwich generation” to grow.
Today’s evidence of this generation’s mid-life stress echoes previous insights that suggest our anxiety peaks and our happiness slumps as we progress through our 40s and 50s.2
In 2019 Aviva will launch a new “mid-life-MOT” for its employees aged 45 and over – providing guidance on how to manage our wealth, work and wellbeing as we progress through what can be the most challenging time in our lives.3
Age should be no barrier to opportunity. Our carers policy 4 and our mid-life-MOT are steps in this direction."
07800 692 299
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business.
- Our aim is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. Last year, we paid c.£33 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019) and our Solvency ratio is 195% (3Q19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.