Aviva is launching a “Mid-Life MOT” – providing targeted guidance on wealth, work and wellbeing for its employees aged 45 and above.
The new “Mid-Life MOT” service will launch in 2019 following a successful pilot in 2018.1
The over-45s are the fastest growing population of workers in the UK – growing by more than a quarter of a million people every year - and are set to approach nearly one-in-two workers within the next decade.2
The “Mid-Life MOT” serves three purposes:
- Review: Encourages employees to review their wealth, work and wellbeing at this mid-point in their lives
- Reposition: Supports employees in their repositioning towards a longer working life
- Retain: Supports the retention of valuable skills and experience held by this growing population
The annual growth in the number of workers aged over-45 in the UK2
The new Aviva “Mid-Life MOT” will include guidance seminars for employees aged 45 and above, covering their wealth, work and wellbeing. These will be delivered in all key Aviva UK locations.3
These face-to-face seminars will be complemented by the following three components:
- 12-part guide to support those in mid-life4
- Direction towards existing government-backed resources to help those in mid-life5
- Free 30-minute consultation with a qualified financial adviser to discuss financial needs6
Lindsey Rix, Managing Director of Savings and Retirement at Aviva said:
“We are committed to supporting our employees and today marks the next step in our plans to support them through mid-life and beyond – our fastest growing employee population.
“Research shows that those in “mid-life” are the most stressed in the UK.7 They are juggling their needs with the needs of those around them. We believe it is important to support our mid-life employees at what can be a challenging time.
“In 2018 we successfully piloted the idea of a “Mid-Life MOT”. In 2019 we will maintain the momentum by introducing it across the UK.
“Our “Mid-Life MOT” encourages employees to take time out to review where they are today, and to reflect on where they want to go tomorrow.
“We also want to send the signal that we value the skills and experience carried by all our employees in mid-life and beyond. We believe this population has much more to give, and much more to gain.
We are committed to ensuring that age is no barrier to opportunity.
1Aviva’s 2018 pilot with 100 Aviva UK employees aged 45 to 60 included a series of educational seminars, focused on the wealth, work and wellbeing needs of those in mid-life. Results were very positive with strong demand for the seminars and an increase in confidence and awareness of the support available.
2Source: Office for National Statistics, Labour Market figures, 2018
3Open seminars will be delivered across all major Aviva UK sites – London, Bristol, Eastleigh, Norwich, Sheffield, York, Glasgow, Dorking and Perth.
4Aviva’s “mid-life MOT” guide will cover the following 12 sources of support:
- Wealth: Introduction to Aviva’s wide range of free online planning tools to support financial wellbeing and retirement planning
- Wealth: Introduction to Aviva’s one-to-one financial advice service
- Wealth: Introduction to government-provided personal finance support, including PensionWise, the Money Advice Service, the Pensions Advisory Service and the State Pension Forecast.
- Work: Introduction to Aviva apprenticeship opportunities, for all ages. (Aviva’s oldest apprentice today is aged 68)
- Work: Introduction to “mid-career reviews”, inviting employees and managers to consider longer-term aspirations and development needs
- Work: Introduction to Aviva’s wide range of free, online learning & development support
- Work: Introduction to Aviva’s support for “smart working” – e.g. working from home – and phased retirement
- Work: Introduction to Aviva’s in-house “career coaches”, to give one-to-one support for career development
- Work: Introduction to government provided work support, including the National Careers Service.
- Wellbeing: Introduction to Aviva’s wide range of wellbeing support, including access to free physiotherapy and cancer care
- Wellbeing: Introduction Aviva’s “carers policy”, providing a level of support for adult carers as that currently given to carers of young children
- Wellbeing: Introduction to government provided health support, including the NHS Health-Check in England.
5Government-backed resources include PensionWise, the National Careers Service and NHS Healthchecks for the over 40s.
6Employees can access more detailed financial advice after the free 30-minute consultation if they choose to .
7Source of “most stressed” statistic: https://www.ons.gov.uk
+44 (0)117 928 5843
+44 (0)7827 832 395
+44 (0)207 457 2020
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our International businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.0 billion (HY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.