Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings & Retirement at Aviva comments on the government’s decision to increase the state pension age.
Commenting on the government’s decision to increase the state pension age, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings & Retirement at Aviva said:
“In reviewing the state pension age, Sir John Cridland’s brief was to deliver “a fair and affordable recommendation that encouraged a longer working life” (1).
“The state pension is a core part of retirement planning in the UK. Aviva’s own research tells us that 98% of over-55s see it as important to UK society and 80% see it as important to their own retirement finances (2).
“Aviva’s research also tells us that many people are confused by the state pension. The future increases in the state pension age must be communicated clearly and extensively. This will allow all to plan with clarity and confidence.
“We are also keen to see how the government responds to Crildand’s other recommendations – including support for those most in need in later life, such as carers, and the encouragement of career “MOTs” for those in their 50s. A full package of measures is needed to make the most of our longer working lives.”
- Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pension-age-independent-review-final-report
- Source: Aviva Real Retirement Report Winter pdf
Fiona Whytock, Senior Media Relations Manager T: +44 (0)7800 692299 E: Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.