Charged for Change program to bring Level 2 chargers to under-served communities in Ontario
Aviva Canada is pleased to announce the first seven communities that will receive Level 2 electric vehicle (EV)1 charging stations through its Charged for Change program in partnership with Earth Day Canada.
Charged for Change is an initiative that aims to bring chargers to under-served communities that lack EV infrastructure. Through this $3M partnership communities can apply for funding to receive charging stations featuring between 6 and 10 Level 2 electric vehicle chargers.
The following Ontario communities have been selected to receive charging stations in 2023:
- Township of Manitouwadge
- Town of Thessalon
- Municipality of East Ferris
- Township of Essa
- Township of Selwyn
- The County of Prince Edward
- Town of Pelham
“We know that accessibility to charging infrastructure is key for Canadians considering transitioning to EVs,” said Aviva Canada’s CEO Jason Storah. “We are proud to partner with Earth Day Canada to bring electric vehicle charging stations to these communities through our Charged for Change initiative. And believe that programs like this can help more Canadians across the country make the switch to a low-carbon economy.”
Over the next three years, Aviva through the Earth Day Canada partnership, will work with municipalities and utility suppliers to install charging station infrastructure in selected communities, with the goal of helping to level the playing field and remove barriers to EV adoption. Communities are encouraged to apply in 2024 or 2025 via the Charged for Change homepage.
“The negative consequences of climate change can only be countered with immediate action. Thanks to Aviva Canada for joining us to take this step to find tangible solutions for Canadians, especially those in smaller communities like the ones we’ve identified through the first cohort of the program, who are looking to make the transition to EV but are deterred by the lack of public infrastructure and resources available,” said Valérie Mallamo, Executive Director, Earth Day Canada.
To help more Canadians transition to EVs, Aviva’s latest EV insurance solution offers customers up to 10 per cent off their premium when they insure an EV.2
1 Level 2 chargers offer faster and a higher kilometre range of charging per hour when compared to Level 1 stations and is the most common type of EV connector found in public spaces. More information on different charging levels can be found at: Ontario.ca
2 Terms and conditions apply. Please visit www.aviva.ca for more details.
About Aviva Canada
Aviva Canada is one of the leading property and casualty insurance groups in the country, providing home, automobile, lifestyle, and business insurance to 2.4 million customers. A subsidiary of UK-based Aviva plc, Aviva Canada has more than 4,000 employees focused on creating a bright and sustainable future for our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. In 2021, we announced our ambition to become a net zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the most demanding target of any major insurance company in the world.
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India and China.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- In 2021, we announced our ambition to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. We are aiming to have a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage, Living Pension and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2023, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £358 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder capital surplus as at 30 September 2023 was £7.6 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva