Aviva has completed an £850 million buy-in of the Arcadia Group Pension Scheme and Arcadia Group Senior Executive Pension Scheme. The transaction enables the Trustees to secure benefits in excess of Pension Protection Fund levels for around 8,800 members of the schemes.
The competitive tender process was run on behalf of the Trustees by Barnett Waddingham LLP, with Gowling WLG providing advice.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said:
“We are delighted to be securing the benefits of more than 8,000 members of the two schemes, providing security for members, and we look forward to welcoming them as Aviva customers once the buy-out is complete. The Trustees’ goal of securing the best outcome for members and strong collaboration between parties helped achieve a smooth transaction.”
Alda Andreotti, Chair of the Trustees, said:
“This transaction is the result of our commitment to achieving the best outcome for members and I would like to thank all parties who collaborated with us. The Trustees are extremely pleased with this substantial development and have already taken the opportunity to update members on what the buy-in means for them. Our hard work will continue to maximise the benefits for all members and prepare the Schemes for buy-out.”
Simon Bramwell, Risk Transfer Partner, Barnett Waddingham LLP said:
“Reaching this significant milestone for the members is testimony to the hard work of the Trustees and all the parties who have collaborated on the transaction. We are very pleased to have been involved in this important process for the Schemes. Now we look forward to supporting the Trustees in preparing the Schemes for buy-out and continuing our work together to achieve innovative solutions and the best outcome for members.”
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in India and China.
- We help our 18.7 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for more than 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2022, we paid £23.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- In 2021, we announced our ambition to become Net Zero by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. We are aiming to have a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. While we are working towards our sustainability ambitions, we acknowledge that we have relationships with businesses and existing assets that may be associated with significant emissions. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage, Living Pension and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2023, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £358 billion and our estimated Solvency II shareholder capital surplus as at 30 September 2023 was £7.6 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva