From the boot of her car, Laura McSorley, Team Leader in our UK Savings and Retirement Team, set-up the Kindness Homeless Street Team to help feed homeless people in Glasgow.
Yesterday she found out she's the winner of the Lorraine Kelly Women of the Year Kindness Award.
Watch the moment she found out she'd been nominated on Lorraine's morning show. Lorraine went on to announce Laura as the winner at a special lunch with the other finalists.
I am absolutely over the moon to have won Lorraine Kelly's Kindness woman of the year award. This came as a huge shock and welcome surprise. I couldn't believe when my name came out as winner from Lorraine Kelly. I feel so fortunate and proud.
I always knew I wanted to be that difference
"In October 2019, I started with £5 of sandwiches walking the streets of Glasgow to chat and assist people in need. I always knew I wanted to be that difference in these amazing people's lives.
"Fast forward to COVID-19 - March 2019 and I realised there was a massive need to step up and help during the pandemic. I quickly rallied round and began a seven night per week service for hot food, clothing, toiletries, hot drinks. We had amazing support from the public and restaurants and people came to assist every evening.
"We now offer a Foodbank service six days per week, soup kitchen three evenings per week, and furnish homes every day. We have so much more we want to explore and offer as a charity and I am so excited to see it grow.
"Working from home gave me the flexibility to help every evening. Having worked for Aviva for 18 years I always resonated with our care value. I am so proud of my charity's achievements and for all the amazing volunteers committed to making the world a better place."
We are all incredibly proud of Laura. She gives up a huge amount of her personal time to help people on the streets of Glasgow. She was determined to make a difference and refused to sit back, even during the toughest of times in lockdown, her team were out on the streets supplying people with hot food and warm clothes. This is a fantastic achievement and so deserved - Laura is an amazing women, colleague and friend.
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group are £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus is £10.3 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva