Aviva today announces it has completed a £320m bulk purchase annuity transaction with the John Laing Pension Fund. John Laing is an active investor and manager of infrastructure projects, focused on major transport, social and environmental infrastructure projects and renewable energy projects, across a range of international markets including the UK.
This is the second buy-in transaction between Aviva and the John Laing Pension Fund. It follows a £211 million transaction in December 2008. Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities for 1,850 current pensioners, taking responsibility for the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Fund. Members will see no change in the amount of their benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction.
The process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by Willis Towers Watson. The trustee received legal advice from Linklaters, whilst Aviva received guidance from Eversheds Sutherland.
Jamie Cole, Head of Bulk Purchase Annuity Origination at Aviva, said: "We’re delighted to have again been able to help the Trustees provide greater security for their members. Thanks to the experienced and well-prepared teams on all sides we were able to complete a smooth and efficient transaction. We continue to see strong demand from schemes, and we’re committed to helping schemes of all sizes with their de-risking plans."
Mike Clare, Chair of Trustees for the John Laing Pension Fund, said: "The Trustees have been focused on achieving the right long-term de-risking for the Fund. The Fund has had a strong relationship with Aviva since its 2008 buy-in and now was the right time to undertake a further buy-in. The buy-in is good news for member security and is a result of positive and successful collaboration between all those involved."
Shelly Beard, Senior Director at Willis Towers Watson, said: "We were very pleased to help the Trustees to secure their second buy-in, extending their partnership with Aviva. This was an important de-risking step for the Fund and the Trustee benefited from a highly competitive pensioner buy-in market at the current time."
Notes to editors:
- We are the UK’s leading Insurance, Wealth & Retirement business and we operate in the UK, Ireland and Canada. We also have international investments in Singapore, China and India.
- We help our 18.5 million customers make the most out of life, plan for the future, and have the confidence that if things go wrong we’ll be there to put it right.
- We have been taking care of people for 325 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2021, we paid £30.2 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is a market leader in sustainability. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the first major insurance company in the world to do so. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition and action at www.aviva.com/sustainability
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at https://www.aviva.com/about-us/our-people/
- As at 30 June 2022, total Group assets under management at Aviva Group were £353 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus at 30 September 2022 was £8.8 billion. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva