Aviva plc (“Aviva”) confirms the completion of the sale of Friends Provident International Limited (“FPIL”) to RL360 Holding Company Limited (“RL360”), a subsidiary of International Financial Group Limited (“IFGL”).
Under the revised structure, Aviva has sold a 76% shareholding in FPIL to IFGL for £259 million, of which £209 million is in cash and £50 million in deferred cash consideration. The completion of the transaction under the revised structure will result in minimal impact on Aviva’s Solvency II capital surplus and IFRS book value as of 31st December 2019, in line with the held for sale accounting treatment. In 2019, FPIL’s operating profit was £128 million and net profit, which takes into account AVIF amortisation, was £2.5 million. FPIL did not remit any cash to Aviva in 2019.
Aviva and IFGL have entered into a shareholders’ agreement under which Aviva has certain ongoing commitments and customary rights given the minority shareholding. FPIL will continue to serve customers, partners and intermediaries as usual and there is no change to customers’ policies as a result of today’s announcement.
Aviva had previously announced the sale of 100% shareholding in FPIL to RL360 for a total consideration of £340 million, of which £310 million was cash consideration and £30 million was deferred consideration.
+44 (0)7800 694 276
+44 (0)7800 694 859
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
+44 (0)20 7662 0911
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. We were the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006, we have invested £6bn in green assets since 2015 and we are a member of the UN Net Zero Asset Owner Alliance.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our international businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion (HY20) and our Solvency II capital surplus is £11.8 billion (Q320). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, latest B-Roll, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.