Aviva plc ("Aviva") announces a change of venue and confirms the format for its Annual General Meeting ("AGM"). The notice of the AGM, scheduled to be held at 13.30 on Tuesday 26 May 2020 at the Queen Elizabeth II Centre (QEII), was circulated to shareholders on 21 April 2020 (the "Notice of AGM").
The Board has been closely monitoring the evolving Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and recognises that UK Government guidance continues to require social distancing and prohibits mass gatherings.
Change of venue and update on arrangements
The Board has decided to change the venue of the AGM to the Company's Head office at St Helen’s, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ. The AGM will take place at the same time, 13.30, and on the same day, Tuesday 26 May 2020, as previously notified to shareholders.
The arrangements for the AGM are as follows:
- It will not be possible for shareholders to attend the AGM in person. Please do not travel to the venue, as anyone who attempts to attend the AGM in person will be refused admission.
- The AGM will be convened with the minimum quorum of shareholders as stated in the Articles of Association. Aviva intends to facilitate the establishment of the quorum on this occasion. Social distancing measures will be in place.
- As shareholders will not be able to attend the AGM in person, they should vote by submitting a proxy in advance of the AGM. To ensure that their vote counts, shareholders should only appoint the Chairman of the AGM to act as their proxy. Details of how to submit a proxy are set out below.
- The AGM will focus on the formal business of the meeting as set out in the Notice of AGM.
The Board believes these measures are necessary and appropriate in light of the current pandemic, in particular, to protect the health and wellbeing of the Company's shareholders, employees and the wider communities in which we operate.
The Board recognises the ongoing importance of communication with shareholders at this time. Shareholders will be able to watch a shareholder presentation following the AGM during which they will hear from the Chairman and CEO and receive an update on our community activities as part of supporting the Covid-19 efforts. There will be an opportunity for pre-submitted shareholder questions to be answered during the presentation. Should a shareholder have a question that they would like to be raised on the business of the AGM, we ask that they send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1pm on Friday 22 May 2020. Full details on how to watch the shareholder presentation will be available on www.aviva.com/agm in due course. Shareholders are urged to vote by proxy, as described below.
Reminder to vote by proxy
We urge all shareholders to register their vote in advance by appointing the Chairman of the AGM as their proxy and giving voting instructions at www.investorcentre.co.uk/eproxy; by CREST or Proxymity voting; or by sending a completed Form of Proxy to Computershare Investor Services PLC, The Pavilions, Bridgwater Road, Bristol, BS99 6ZY; by 1.30pm on Thursday, 21 May 2020.
Shareholders who have appointed a different proxy should contact Computershare on 0371 495 0105, or +44 117 378 8361 if calling from outside the UK, as soon as possible. Other proxies will not be permitted to attend the AGM.
The Board will continue to monitor the situation and may, if necessary, need to make further changes to the arrangements for the AGM, including how it is conducted. Shareholders should therefore continue to monitor the Company's website and announcements.
The Board would like to thank shareholders for their understanding and support during these exceptional circumstances and wish them well during these challenging times.
+44 (0)7800 694 276
+44 (0)7800 694 859
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.