A social media post from Warsaw University attracted our attention – it was about a grassroots initiative to produce protective shields for health workers.
Staff and student volunteers at the Physics Department lab, Makerspace, had the skills to produce protective masks using 3D printers. But they were faced with a problem: they lacked raw materials. So, they made an appeal for help and Aviva Poland responded.
We donated almost PLN 50,000 (£10,000). This was enough to buy 10 additional 3D printers and raw material to produce 6,000 shields for doctors, nurses, paramedics and other frontliners in Poland.
The number of shields produced daily jumped from 24 to 300.
Within a few days, the first few shields from our donation were made and protected the medical staff in action. The university sent us lots of photos of the healthcare workers using the masks. It's a positive message to students and academics, we just want to let them know that we are ready to help as much as we can and we are eager to support their noble initiative.
Support for customers and communities in Poland
Other initiatives to support our customers and communities in Poland include:
- Funding equipment for the Central Humanitarian Warehouse such as sleeping bags, camp beds, disposable tableware, tourist tables and chairs as well as hygiene kits and food supplies.
- Supporting the Polish Red Cross by buying essential equipment such as masks, goggles and special overalls. Individuals and teams across the business are also donating money to them.
Every day, we are inspired by countless stories of frontliners all over the world risking their lives to help others and people coming together in whatever way they can across the globe to support communities. Thank you to all those who work tirelessly every day to fight COVID19.
More on Aviva Poland's initiatives at: https://media.aviva.pl/
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. We were the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006, we have invested £6bn in green assets since 2015 and we are a member of the UN Net Zero Asset Owner Alliance.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our international businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion (HY20) and our Solvency II capital surplus is £11.8 billion (Q320). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, latest B-Roll, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.