People across Canada have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Aviva Canada has pledged to support Canadians with an extensive pandemic relief package ranging from cash donations and flexible payment options for vulnerable customers, to free roadside assistance for healthcare workers.
"We can all agree that we find ourselves in extraordinary times, but when it comes to supporting communities across Canada, Aviva Canada has a long history of being there on the ground."
"We have more than 4,000 employees across Canada committed to being there for our customers when they need us the most – and I see this as another way that we can extend that same commitment to those impacted by COVID-19," said Jason Storah, Chief Executive Officer, Aviva Canada.
A $500,000 donation to the Canadian Red Cross
A long-time partner of the Canadian Red Cross, Aviva Canada is donating $500,000 to support the charitable organization’s Response and Emergency Management programs for COVID-19, as well as other disaster response efforts. The donation will help to:
- Fund relief supplies such as cots, blankets, pillows, masks and gloves.
- Support emergency response personnel deployed to assist with the comfort and care of Canadians returning to Canada.
- Support the training and deployment of Emergency Response volunteers to provide safety and well-being telephone assessments for vulnerable populations.
"The Canadian Red Cross is thankful for Aviva Canada’s continued support of our emergency management and community health and wellness programs."
"The support of Aviva Canada during this critical time will help the Red Cross provide vital services and resources to those in need during the current COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to preparing to respond to floods, wildfires and other disasters in the weeks and months ahead," said Conrad Sauvé, President and CEO, Canadian Red Cross.
Complimentary roadside assistance for police, paramedics, firefighters and healthcare heroes
We are enormously grateful for the courageous first responders and healthcare professionals working tirelessly to help those in need during these times. Beginning April 6 and until further notice, Aviva Canada is providing free roadside assistance to police, paramedics, firefighters and healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. They do not have to be Aviva Canada customers to call 1-844-398-2001 for free roadside assistance. Check here for more details..
Dedicating over 90,000 volunteer hours to help
Each year, Aviva Canada employees give back to the communities by donating and volunteering their time. For 2020, Aviva Canada employees expect to dedicate over 90,000 hours volunteering with organizations supporting the vulnerable and the elderly in our communities so those in self-isolation can continue to stay healthy, safe and connected to their community during this time.
Flexible payment options for vulnerable customers
To help those impacted by COVID-19, Aviva Canada is offering customers flexibility with their premium payment during this time. Impacted customers can contact their broker, agent or call Aviva Canada on 1-800-387-4518 for more information.
About Aviva Canada
- Aviva Canada is one of the leading property and casualty insurance groups in the country, providing home, automobile, lifestyle and business insurance to 2.8 million customers. A subsidiary of UK-based Aviva plc, Aviva Canada has more than 4,000 employees focused on creating a bright and sustainable future for their customers and our communities.
- For more information, visit aviva.ca or Aviva Canada’s blog, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages.
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’. In 2020, we paid £30.6 billion in claims and benefits to our customers.
- Aviva is invested in our people, our customers, our communities and our planet. In 2021, we announced our plan to become a Net Zero carbon emissions company by 2040, the most demanding target of any major insurance company in the world. This plan means Net Zero carbon emissions from our investments by 2040; setting out a clear pathway to get there with a cut of 25% in the carbon intensity of our investments by 2025 and of 60% by 2030; and Net Zero carbon emissions from our own operations and supply chain by 2030. Aviva has been leading this agenda for decades: Aviva was the first international insurer to go operationally carbon neutral in 2006 and we are champions of renewable energy and energy storage at our offices, allowing us to achieve our 2030 carbon reduction target (70% reduction on 2010 levels) 10 years early. Find out more about our climate goals at www.aviva.com/climate-goals and our sustainability ambition at www.aviva.com/sustainability.
- Aviva is a Living Wage and Living Hours employer and provides market-leading benefits for our people, including flexible working, paid carers leave and equal parental leave. Find out more at www.aviva.com/social-purpose
- We are focused on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience. We also have strategic investments in Singapore, China and India.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group as at 31 December 2020 are £535 billion and our Solvency II shareholder capital surplus is £12.5 billion as at 31 March 2021. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our spokespeople images, podcasts, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on:
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva