Apprenticeships are not just for school leavers and young people. Aviva has 450 levy-funded apprentices across its UK business aged 18-68, of which 43% are over 30 years old. Two-thirds of all its apprentices are existing employees who are looking to develop their skills.
The theme for this year’s National Apprenticeship Week is ‘Look Beyond’ and is celebrating the diversity that apprenticeships bring to employers, apprentices and communities.
The apprenticeship roles at Aviva reflect a broad range of skills. The focus is on developing core insurance skills such as underwriting and actuarial, but also a need to develop new skills such as digital, analytics and cyber.
Sophie Gray, Head of Apprenticeships at Aviva, said: “Originally we thought apprenticeships would primarily attract new talent to entry-level roles, but the diversity of schemes means we can be more inclusive for people from different backgrounds and career stages – be it school leavers, people returning to work, or people reinventing their careers.
"We’ve found that this makes for more engaged and dedicated employees, with the skills they develop being extremely valuable to us."
We also have people who come to us with fresh ideas, motivation and a propensity to learn over time. We’re embracing new skills such as Data Science to equip us for the future and apprenticeships are helping us grow our own experts."
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 300 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2018, we paid c.£33 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019) and our Solvency ratio is 195% (3Q19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.