Aviva today announces it has completed a £1 billion bulk purchase annuity transaction with the Trustee of the Co-operative Pension Scheme (Pace).
Aviva will insure the defined benefit pension liabilities of approximately 7,000 members, removing the investment and longevity risk of these members from the Scheme. Members will see no change in the amount of their benefits or the way in which they are paid as a result of the transaction, which forms part of the Trustee’s de-risking strategy.
The competitive bidding process to select an insurer and negotiate terms was led by Aon on behalf of the Trustee. The Trustee received legal advice from Linklaters and investment advice from Mercer.
Angela Darlington, CEO Aviva UK Life*, said:
“I’m delighted that Aviva has secured this significant deal with the Co-operative Pension Scheme. This is further evidence of the expertise we have in pension de-risking and our ability to support schemes of all sizes. With an ‘umbrella’ framework now in place, we look forward to potential further de-risking opportunities in the future.
“As the UK's largest multi-line insurer, we’re in an exceptional position to offer our clients a whole range of insurance products, whether it’s for large or small schemes.”
Chris Martin of Independent Trustee Services Limited, the chair of the Co-operative Pension Scheme’s Trustee, said:
“This buy-in further increases member security as part of the Trustee’s long-term de-risking strategy, and is a real positive for scheme members, the Trustee and the Co-op. It represents a huge amount of hard work from the Co-op pensions team and thanks go to our advisers, Aon, Linklaters and Mercer, for their roles throughout the process and their advice to the Trustee.”
Gary Dewin, Director of Reward for the Co-op, said:
“Our Pace pension scheme is one of the strongest in the UK and highly valued by its members. By taking this buy in approach we are simply looking to further strengthen this position.”
Tom Scott, Principal Consultant in Aon’s Risk Settlement Group, said:
"We are pleased to have supported the Joint Working Group in developing its de-risking strategy and navigating the exceptionally busy bulk annuity market over recent months.
“As a result of thorough preparation and careful timing, we have been able to secure terms with Aviva as part of the next stage in the Scheme's journey."
Phil Goss, Linklaters Pensions Partner, said:
“The Trustee and Co-op have achieved a significant milestone in supporting the security of members’ benefits with the successful completion of this transaction. It has been a pleasure supporting the whole team throughout the project, from planning to execution, and working with Aviva and its advisers, to achieve terms that protect the long term interests of members.”
The Co-op is one of the world’s largest consumer co-ops, owned by millions of members. It has the UK’s fifth biggest food retailer, the UK’s number one funeral services provider, a major general insurance business, and a developing legal services business.
*Subject to regulatory approval
- ENDS -
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.