New population projections from the Office for National Statistics have projected that the UK 65+ population is set to double from 12 million to 24 million over the coming century. This increase drives three-quarters of the +16 million predicted growth in the total UK population over the coming century, from 66 million to 82 million.
This rapid growth in this 65+ population will place increasing pressure on the UK’s ability to fund its longer later life. Today, there are more than three-and-a-half people of working age to help fund every one of pensioner age. Over the next century, this ratio will fall towards two people of working age for every one of pensioner age.
Commenting, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings & Retirement at Aviva said:
“The growth in our pensioner population is a reflection of our increasing life expectancy. While this must celebrated, it also brings greater consequences and responsibilities for our society.
“A larger pensioner population is likely to result in greater demand on the public purse, and could impact the availability of public services for individuals. To avoid this, we must help workers save more and to offer greater assistance to work longer in the years to come.
“Automatic enrolment has introduced more than ten million people to workplace pensions since 2012, but we must do more to ensure that our changing population are saving enough.
"By increasing the automatic enrolment minimum from 8% to 12% of earnings over the coming decade we will better prepare workers for a longer later life. Failing to encourage people to save more risks millions meeting retirement with disappointment.
“Today we have a record number of 10 million people in work beyond the age of 50, but we are continuing to see a collapse in employment participation as workers progress towards their sixties. This represents a huge loss of talent, experience and potential that the UK can no longer afford.
“At Aviva, we have introduced Mid-Life MOTs to provide targeted support for our workers who are aged 45-and-over, to encourage them to review their savings and to support them should they wish to embark on a longer working life.
“At this time of great change in our society, age must be no barrier to opportunity.”
Sources: Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We will focus on the UK, Ireland and Canada where we have leading market positions and significant potential. We will invest for growth in these markets. Our International businesses in Europe and Asia will be managed for long-term shareholder value. We will also transform our performance and improve our efficiency. Our transformation will be underpinned by managing our balance sheet prudently, reducing debt and increasing our financial resilience.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £522 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.0 billion (HY20). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.