New figures from Aviva show that the secondary market in workplace pensions is continuing to thrive.
Enquiries coming into Aviva from employers and advisers looking to switch pension provider were up 60% during the first half of 2019, compared to the first six months of last year. Two thirds of those enquiries came from advisers while the remaining third were direct from employers.
It comes as employers and employees are increasingly recognising the value of a well-run workplace pension scheme. In a recent survey* by Aviva, pensions came second in a poll of workplace benefits employees were most interested in, just behind annual leave.
More than a million businesses have set up a scheme and 10 million employees have begun saving for their retirement.
Many businesses have now had their schemes for a number of years, providing them with time to assess if they are delivering what they require.
This has led to a ‘secondary market’ where businesses are looking to potentially change their workplace pension provider. This secondary market is being fuelled by those companies and their advisers who are now looking around to see what else is available.
Malcolm Goodwin, Head of Workplace Savings and Retirement at Aviva, said:
“A few years ago, some employers may have seen setting up a workplace pension scheme as an administrative hassle that they just needed to get done as quickly as possible.
“But it is becoming clear that a pension is a really valuable benefit to employees. This is leading to businesses and their advisers re-evaluating their pension schemes and making enquiries about switching.
“Pension schemes and pension providers can vary widely. I’d encourage employers of all sizes to assess whether they and their employees are getting the value for money they had hoped for.”
*Survey of 2,011 employed people carried out by Censuswide on behalf of Aviva in March 2019
- ENDS -
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.