New ONS labour market figures1 report that there are more people in employment today in the UK than ever before – 32.75 million.
Aviva’s analysis identifies that the over-50s have driven an incredible 90% of this employment growth over the past year. 319,000 of the 354,000 additional workers have been recorded in the over-50 age group.
Many are choosing to work longer, and many are having to work longer, to pay for a longer life in retirement. Employers must respond to this change in the employment market. Aviva is investing in ‘Mid-Life MOTs’ for its employees aged 45 and over, to ensure that age represents no barrier to opportunity.
Commenting, Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings & Retirement at Aviva said:
“Our working lives are changing, fast. A record number of us are working deep into our later lives. Today, there are 1.33 million people working beyond the age of 65 – more than ever before.
“Many are choosing to work longer. Many others are having to work longer to fund longer life in retirement.
“Forward-thinking employers will respond to this changing world, and they will be rewarded for doing so, securing and retaining the best of this booming population.
“Aviva is investing in Mid-Life MOTs to provide targeted support for its employees aged 45 and over. Aviva is committed to ensuring that age is no barrier to opportunity.”
- ENDS -
Sources contain public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
1.ONS Labour Market Statistics UK, July 2019 https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplein-work/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/july2019
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and manages over £346 billion in assets (as at 30 June 2019). Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019).
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; in 2018 we paid £32.9 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library on Flickr, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- Subscribe to our news alerts by email.
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.