Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings and Retirement at Aviva, has commented on a House of Lords report into tackling intergenerational unfairness.1
“Today’s House of Lords report sends a clear message: there is a spirit of intergenerational unity in the UK, but it is at risk. Without positive long-term action, an intergenerational storm may be on the horizon.
“This is an important and wide-ranging report. It deserves careful and thorough consideration, and we should avoid any rush to make judgement.
“We are pleased to see the focus given to the intergenerational challenges of a longer working life, alongside those of housing, education, community, taxation and government planning. The report is correct to state that yesterday’s simple three-phased approach to life – education, work and retirement – is coming to an end. We must all be prepared for the prospect of a more fluid and fuller working life.
The report makes more than 20 references to the potential of a “Mid-Life MOT”, to help workers from mid-life prepare for a longer working life. Aviva is leading the way in the adoption of a “Mid-Life MOT”. From 2019 Aviva’s MOT will help its own people consider their work, wealth and wellbeing from the age of 45.2
“Investing in a Mid-Life MOT is an investment in today’s mid-life workers, and in the generations that follow. The challenge of a longer working life is not going away. So, we must invest today to ensure that age is no barrier to opportunity tomorrow.”
- ENDS -
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business.
- Our aim is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. Last year, we paid c.£33 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019) and our Solvency ratio is 195% (3Q19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.