With people preparing for fireworks festivities, Aviva data shows they need to beware of bonfire burglars.
Aviva's data shows that claims soar by 42%1 on November 5th as thieves take advantage of empty homes.
But Aviva research shows that many don’t do the necessary checks before leaving the house, with just under 40% not checking their windows are locked and 29% not checking doors.2
Claims soar on Bonfire Night
increase in burglary claims
increase in fire claims
In addition, 55% don’t leave a light or radio on to make the house look occupied and 62% don’t ensure bikes and valuable items in the garden are locked away. However, 13% are now using a smart home security device to keep an eye on their property while they are out.
And many of those who are having a bonfire party at home are leaving their home at risk from thieves with almost 60% not checking they’ve locked the front door before heading out to the garden. A further two-thirds (64%) don’t check that windows are locked and 62% don’t hide away valuables.
With many families out enjoying the bonfire celebrations our data shows that they need to beware of bonfire burglars looking to take advantage of empty homes. Those attending a display, or having one at home, need to make sure their home is properly secure and don’t make it easy for opportunist thieves to gain access. Otherwise it could be an unforgettable bonfire night for all the wrong reasons.
As well as burglaries increasing on Bonfire Night, unsurprisingly fire claims rise by 50% as fireworks cause damage to homes.
Do you / members of your household usually attend a Bonfire night or fireworks event away from your own home, such as a local fireworks display?
With Aviva home insurance if the worst does happen you can make a claim online through MyAviva – the MyAviva app can be downloaded to a smartphone. You can also call our UK claims team 24/7.
Tips to deter burglars
- If you are hosting a bonfire night party in your back garden make sure front windows and doors are locked.
- Leave a radio and lights on to give the impression that people are at home.
- Use a timer switch to turn lights on as it gets dark.
- Avoid telling strangers who know your address – such as delivery men – that your house is likely to be empty.
- Put your car and bikes in your garage or out of the way for the night and don’t leave your keys in an obvious place.
- Move garden ornaments and potted plants from the front of your house and out of sight.
- Make sure sheds, garages and outbuildings have robust locks.
1Average Aviva claims 2007-2017
2Censuswide poll of 2001 adults between 4-8 October 2018
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £331 billion in assets (as at 31 December 2018). Total group assets under management at the Aviva group are £470 billion (as at 31 December 2018).
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; in 2017, we paid out 98% of all our claims across all our markets and insurance products. We paid £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.