With people preparing for fireworks festivities, Aviva data shows they need to beware of bonfire burglars.
Aviva's data shows that claims soar by 42%1 on November 5th as thieves take advantage of empty homes.
But Aviva research shows that many don’t do the necessary checks before leaving the house, with just under 40% not checking their windows are locked and 29% not checking doors.2
Claims soar on Bonfire Night
increase in burglary claims
increase in fire claims
In addition, 55% don’t leave a light or radio on to make the house look occupied and 62% don’t ensure bikes and valuable items in the garden are locked away. However, 13% are now using a smart home security device to keep an eye on their property while they are out.
And many of those who are having a bonfire party at home are leaving their home at risk from thieves with almost 60% not checking they’ve locked the front door before heading out to the garden. A further two-thirds (64%) don’t check that windows are locked and 62% don’t hide away valuables.
With many families out enjoying the bonfire celebrations our data shows that they need to beware of bonfire burglars looking to take advantage of empty homes. Those attending a display, or having one at home, need to make sure their home is properly secure and don’t make it easy for opportunist thieves to gain access. Otherwise it could be an unforgettable bonfire night for all the wrong reasons.
As well as burglaries increasing on Bonfire Night, unsurprisingly fire claims rise by 50% as fireworks cause damage to homes.
Do you / members of your household usually attend a Bonfire night or fireworks event away from your own home, such as a local fireworks display?
With Aviva home insurance if the worst does happen you can make a claim online through MyAviva – the MyAviva app can be downloaded to a smartphone. You can also call our UK claims team 24/7.
Tips to deter burglars
- If you are hosting a bonfire night party in your back garden make sure front windows and doors are locked.
- Leave a radio and lights on to give the impression that people are at home.
- Use a timer switch to turn lights on as it gets dark.
- Avoid telling strangers who know your address – such as delivery men – that your house is likely to be empty.
- Put your car and bikes in your garage or out of the way for the night and don’t leave your keys in an obvious place.
- Move garden ornaments and potted plants from the front of your house and out of sight.
- Make sure sheds, garages and outbuildings have robust locks.
1Average Aviva claims 2007-2017
2Censuswide poll of 2001 adults between 4-8 October 2018
Notes to editors:
- For information on how Aviva is helping our people, customers and communities impacted by COVID-19 visit: www.aviva.com/covid-19-our-response/
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business. We exist to be with people when it really matters, throughout their lives – to help them make the most of life. We have been taking care of people for more than 320 years, in line with our purpose of being ‘with you today, for a better tomorrow’.
- Our vision is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. In 2019, we paid £33.2 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33.4 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £510 billion and our Solvency II capital surplus is £12.6 billion (FY19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.