Colleagues across the UK are being given the chance to gain qualifications as they work.
Thousands of Aviva colleagues across the UK are being given the chance to gain qualifications as they work, thanks to a new Learning Agreement between the insurer and Unite the Union.
Following a successful pilot in York, the arrangement was officially signed on 31st July and is now being rolled out to Aviva colleagues across the country. It is available to all Aviva UK employees, more than 14,000 in total. It is the first arrangement of its kind on this scale, between an insurance provider and Unite.
To date, more than 300 Aviva colleagues have gained qualifications through the pilot scheme. A further 100 employees are now expected to take part in the initiative each year.
Colleagues will have access to courses in a range of subjects including business management, providing financial services and team leadership, with the possibility of achieving new apprenticeship standards up to level five.
Anthony Fitzpatrick, Employee Relations and Global Policy Lead for Aviva says: “We’ve been working with Unite for four years now and we’re thrilled that we’ve now put a formal arrangement in place to support our colleagues.
"This Learning Agreement means people can improve their skills and knowledge - and ultimately pick up qualifications – in a way that suits their lifestyles.
“We’ve also seen so many people grow in confidence and take on new challenges as they’ve learned, and a number have gone on to pursue further studies. I’m delighted that now even more people can benefit from the scheme.”
Andrew Case, Lead Officer, Finance & Legal Sector, for Unite says: “This is the first agreement of its kind to be entered into between Unite and Aviva and represents an historic step forward in our relationship. The agreement will allow our Unite Learning Reps to build on their work of helping to deliver important learning opportunities to Aviva staff. Unite believes strongly that this Learning Agreement offers important opportunities for individual development and growth. The opportunities to staff and members from this agreement include improving existing skills and gaining new qualifications.”
“Unite welcomes this learning partnership with Aviva and we look forward to the exciting new learning opportunities we will be able to offer members in Aviva.”
Maria Nacey achieved a Team Leader NVQ level 2 qualification through the scheme:
I really enjoyed doing this course, it’s a great way to develop academic skills within the workplace, which help to further your career within Aviva. I loved working with my mentor who was very supportive throughout the term of my learning. As part of this course I retook my Maths and English GCSEs, which was a real bonus!
Ade Carter recently completed a Level 5 NVQ in Business Management and Leadership through Unite Learning and Aviva:
Having not done any formal qualifications since I’d finished school, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I found the course to be really useful. The ability to draw on things I did during my working day as evidence for my development was fantastic and I certainly found it much easier and much more enjoyable to learn in this way. As a result of completing the Level 5 NVQ, I was able to apply for and be accepted for a Masters in Business Administration at Cranfield School of Management.
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £331 billion in assets (as at 31 December 2018). Total group assets under management at the Aviva group are £470 billion (as at 31 December 2018).
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; in 2017, we paid out 98% of all our claims across all our markets and insurance products. We paid £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.