We are taking steps to reduce our use of single-use plastic items internationally.
In the UK, where the company is the country’s largest insurer, Aviva has already committed to:
- Remove all disposable cups from vending machines, water coolers and cafés in its UK offices by the end of 2018.
- Eliminate single-use plastic at UK sites, including cafes and events, by the middle of 2019*
Plastic waste is a problem which, quite literally, hasn’t gone away. Experts predict there will be more plastic than fish by weight in the world's oceans by 2050 if we don’t make changes now**.
This issue is crucial to our customers, our employees and the communities we serve. As an international business we have a responsibility to leave a different sort of legacy, so we are looking at the steps we can take worldwide to radically reduce our use of plastic.
Small changes can make a big difference and the pledges we have made demonstrate our commitment to this important cause.
The following initiatives to reduce plastic have been introduced across UK sites and will be rolled out across Aviva’s international locations throughout 2018:
- Compostable cutlery – all sites have stopped ordering plastic cutlery and now use a compostable version
- Plastic water bottles – plastic water bottles have been removed from hospitality and events in London, Norwich and York and replaced with re-useable glass alternatives.
- Keep Cups - customers receive a discount for using a reusable cup in Aviva cafes eg a 20 pence discount per drink in the UK.
- Hospitality plastic water bottles – to be removed from hospitality and events at all other sites (outside London, Norwich and York) and replaced with re-usable alternatives.
- Café food packaging – alternatives being sought for salad containers and sandwiches.
- Vending machines – single-use plastic items will be removed where market alternatives exist.
- Suppliers – we are working with our suppliers to eliminate single-use plastics and encourage them to sign up to the WRAP UK Plastics Pact.
Telephone: 01904 452828
Mobile: 07800 691569
* Where alternatives exist in the market. There may be some instances, such as crisp packets, where single-use items contain a small proportion of plastic. Aviva will continue to review products available to ensure that single-use plastic can be eliminated wherever possible.
** Source: The New Plastics Economy Rethinking the future of plastics - a report from the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, in partnership with the World Economic Forum.
Notes to editors:
- Aviva is a leading international savings, retirement and insurance business.
- Our aim is to earn our customers’ trust as the best place to save for the future, navigate retirement and insure what matters most to them. Last year, we paid c.£33 billion in claims and benefits on behalf of our 33 million customers.
- We operate through five business divisions: Investments, Savings & Retirement; UK Life; General Insurance; Europe Life; and Asia Life; and focus on three strategic priorities: deliver great customer outcomes, excel at the fundamentals and invest in sustainable growth.
- Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £501 billion (as at 30 June 2019) and our Solvency ratio is 195% (3Q19). Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE 100 index.
- For more details on what we do, our business and how we help our customers, visit www.aviva.com/about-us
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive. Sign up to get the latest news from Aviva by email.
- You can follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- You can follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.