We are taking steps to reduce our use of single-use plastic items internationally.
In the UK, where the company is the country’s largest insurer, Aviva has already committed to:
- Remove all disposable cups from vending machines, water coolers and cafés in its UK offices by the end of 2018.
- Eliminate single-use plastic at UK sites, including cafes and events, by the middle of 2019*
Plastic waste is a problem which, quite literally, hasn’t gone away. Experts predict there will be more plastic than fish by weight in the world's oceans by 2050 if we don’t make changes now**.
This issue is crucial to our customers, our employees and the communities we serve. As an international business we have a responsibility to leave a different sort of legacy, so we are looking at the steps we can take worldwide to radically reduce our use of plastic.
Small changes can make a big difference and the pledges we have made demonstrate our commitment to this important cause.
The following initiatives to reduce plastic have been introduced across UK sites and will be rolled out across Aviva’s international locations throughout 2018:
- Compostable cutlery – all sites have stopped ordering plastic cutlery and now use a compostable version
- Plastic water bottles – plastic water bottles have been removed from hospitality and events in London, Norwich and York and replaced with re-useable glass alternatives.
- Keep Cups - customers receive a discount for using a reusable cup in Aviva cafes eg a 20 pence discount per drink in the UK.
- Hospitality plastic water bottles – to be removed from hospitality and events at all other sites (outside London, Norwich and York) and replaced with re-usable alternatives.
- Café food packaging – alternatives being sought for salad containers and sandwiches.
- Vending machines – single-use plastic items will be removed where market alternatives exist.
- Suppliers – we are working with our suppliers to eliminate single-use plastics and encourage them to sign up to the WRAP UK Plastics Pact.
Telephone: 01904 452828
Mobile: 07800 691569
* Where alternatives exist in the market. There may be some instances, such as crisp packets, where single-use items contain a small proportion of plastic. Aviva will continue to review products available to ensure that single-use plastic can be eliminated wherever possible.
** Source: The New Plastics Economy Rethinking the future of plastics - a report from the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, in partnership with the World Economic Forum.
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £350 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at the Aviva group are £490 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
More from our Newsroom
Aviva UK announces new chair of Independent Governance Committee
21 Jun 2018
Put your money where your mouth is, urges Mark Wilson
18 Jun 2018
China: a fascinating story of disruption
15 Jun 2018
Businesses urged to promote parental leave to working dads
15 Jun 2018
Men’s Health Week: spotlight on sugar
13 Jun 2018
Confession: my inexcusable plastic habit
5 Jun 2018
Aviva pledges to reduce plastic
5 Jun 2018
UK government appoints Kirsty Cooper industry champion for dormant assets
4 Jun 2018
Aviva’s acquisition of Friends First gets regulatory approval
1 Jun 2018
Insurance fraud is a victimless crime...
29 May 2018
£90m of UK claims fraud detected by Aviva in 2017 - up 5.4%
28 May 2018
Life & pensions
State Pension Survival Day
25 May 2018
Can Aviva see into the future?
18 May 2018
Aviva wins bulk annuity deal with M&S pension scheme
17 May 2018
Voting results of 2018 Annual General Meeting
10 May 2018
8 May 2018