Aviva plc (“Aviva”) announces that it will commence a share buy-back of its ordinary shares for up to a maximum aggregate consideration of £600 million.
As outlined in its recent 2017 results, Aviva has significant excess capital and has committed to deploy £2 billion of this in 2018. The deployment includes £900 million of debt reduction, £500 million for bolt-on acquisitions (c£100 million already committed to the acquisition of Friends First in Ireland) and a £600 million ordinary share buy-back.
The dividend yield on Aviva shares currently stands at 5.2%*, and with the dividend expected to grow further, the Board believes a buy-back is a compelling use of Aviva’s excess capital.
Aviva has entered into an agreement with Citigroup Global Markets Ltd ("Citigroup") to conduct the share buy-back programme on its behalf and to make trading decisions under the programme independently of Aviva. The programme will commence on 1 May 2018 and will end no later than 31 December 2018. Shares acquired by Citigroup under the agreement will be immediately sold on to Aviva and, to the extent permitted by law, such ordinary shares purchased will be cancelled.
Aviva has received regulatory approval for the buy-back from the PRA.
“Aviva has significant surplus cash and capital and we are deploying £2 billion productively in 2018. The £600 million buy-back, together with our plan to repay £900 million of expensive debt maturing this year and invest in bolt-on acquisitions, will grow Aviva’s earnings, strengthen cashflow and improve debt ratios.”
Note: Any purchase of Aviva ordinary shares contemplated by this announcement will be executed in accordance with Aviva’s general authority to repurchase ordinary shares granted by its shareholders on 10 May 2017, EU Market Abuse Regulation (596/2014), and Chapter 12 of the Financial Conduct Authority’s Listing Rules.
* Based on 2017 dividend per share of 27.4p, and the Aviva ordinary share price of 529p on 30.04.2018.
+44 (0)20 7662 0215
+44 (0)20 7662 3131
+44 (0)20 7662 6700
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
+44 (0)20 7662 0911
+44 (0)20 7662 3070
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £350 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £490 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.6 billion in benefits and claims in 2017.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva newsroom at www.aviva.com/newsroom includes links to our image library, research reports and our news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here www.aviva.com/about-us
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.