Alistair McQueen, Head of Savings and Retirement at Aviva, comments on today’s ONS Inflation figures
“Today’s inflation figure of 2.9% - a level not seen since 2013 – will raise concern among consumers about the impact of rising prices on their finances.
“Rising prices look set to squeeze incomes and put pressure on the pound, so budgeting and belt-tightening may be the theme of summer 2017, and beyond.”
“Aviva’s underlying Age Inflation Index shows that all ages are experiencing these price pressures, but the latest figures will hit those in retirement hardest - those who last year were enjoying an inflation rate bouncing around zero.
“Careful financial planning will be needed to help navigate these choppy financial waters.”
Fiona Whytock, Senior Media Relations Manager, T: +44 (0)7800 692299 E: Fiona.email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.