Figures from ONS today suggest that there is a record number of over 50s in employment.
“Today’s record number of 9.9 million older workers is enough to fill 124,000 London buses. Parked end-to-end, this convoy would stretch nearly 870 miles, from Lands’ End to John o’ Groats.
“At present, the over-50s represent 31% of the workforce in the UK – up from 26% ten years ago. If this rate of growth continues, the over-50s will become the dominant working population by 2025.
“The growth in the older worker population is a positive reflection of our ageing society. The challenge for employers is to understand and invest in the needs of these older workers. More than ever, age must not be a barrier to delivering full potential.
“To support its older workers, Aviva is piloting schemes such as mid-life career reviews, support for carers and apprenticeships for all ages.”
Fiona Whytock, Senior Media Relations Manager, T: +44 (0)7800 692299 E: Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.